30.

Chapter 30
A dane

Chapter 30A dane

FRODE'S POV

Using my free hand that I'd torn away from the wooden handle of the axe, I wiped the sweat from my forehead. Deciding to take a break from my chores, I glanced to the side to see my twin brother still slaving away with a blank expression.

His medium length blond hair is untamed, full of knots and lice just like mine. Our cheep clothes are covered in white and black ash, soot, and we smell of horse shit. Everyone who worked at the smithy and stables didn't care to learn our given names, and simply referred to both of us as the Askeladd brothers.

The Ashen Ones.

Our mother, a sickly slave-- tossed away concubine. While our father, a champion of Jutland.

"Frode, come on, let's head back home now." My older twin brother, Lucious, got up from where he sat and began dusting himself off by patting his clothes. After he was done he extended a hand to me, offering to help me up from where I sat.

Nodding, I grabbed his rough hand-- he pulled me up as I equally put in the effort to come up to my feet.

The journey home was very brief as our roof was not to far from where we were labouring today.

One of the big horse stables is where we took shelter. It worked, as it sheltered us from rain and snow. And of course it supplied our ill mother a comfortable spot in the hay to rest her unwell body.

Walking into the stables, our mother was already fast asleep so we made sure to not make to much noise to avoid waking her up. I wasn't surprised to find her dreaming already, as the stars were now littering the night sky.

The sun went into hibernating hours ago, the moon now serving it's role for the night.

Brother and I were working all day long, of course both of us taking breaks now and then to return here to give mother something to eat.

Sighing, I turned on my heel to walk back out of the stables.

"Where are you going Frode?" Lucious called out to me in a hush tone, making sure to keep his voice down as mother is a very light sleeper.

"Don't worry, I'll be right outside. You should get some sleep you were working hard all day.. Goodnight." I informed him so he wouldn't worry, he only nodded in response before getting comfortable beside mother to sleep.

Walking out of the stables I laid down onto the grass and looked up at the sky.

I believe that everyone who lives on land is a slave.