4.

Chapter 4. 
A Real Friend (?)

She cringed at the stinging sensation lingering on her cheek

Raising her hand, she rested her palm on her reddened cheek as she stared at Thorfinn with wide eyes. This was surprisingly the first time he had struck her despite the fact that they're always arguing. She bit down hard on her trembling lower lip, trying her best to suck up her tears.

Snapped back into reality, she couldn't believe she had broke down in front of Thorfinn.

Thorfinn was the first to break eye contact, looking down at ground. Y/n also then looked off to the side, cheeks beginning to burn in embarrassment. To make things worse, the two now sat in painful silence. 

But then, as Y/n adjusted the blanket draped over her shoulders and watched how the snowflakes melted as soon as they hit her boots--her mood shifted. 

It's a great thing that Thorfinn was there to drag her from her negative mindset, now she was finally able to think clearly. 

Narrowing her eyes up at the stars, she thought about what would happen when her body suddenly succumbed to her illness and she was unable to be at sea. 

Would she have any regrets? Will she be content with how she decided to spend her very limited time? If she were to die right now, how would she be remembered? Would she even be remembered? 

The only person she could imagine being shaken by her passing is obviously her father-- maybe Thorfinn. Y/n noticed how much time she had really spent with the boy, they grew up together. In a way, she saw Thorfinn as a brother.

Thorfinn didn't realize this himself, but he was beginning to see Y/n and Askeladd as his family. Considering the fact that Askeladd was a father to him longer than his own late father. And of course, Askeladd did say if anything were to happen to Y/n he would never duel him again. 

But this was only an excuse, Thorfinn genuinely did not want anything bad to happen to Y/n. 

"You and I are the same."

In a way, it was comforting to have a boy his age around him. They constantly bumped heads-- but it was never turned into anything serious. Clean-handed arguments that reminded him of the ones he and his sister used to have. 

For some reason, when he heard that Y/n was Askeladd's son from Askeladd himself it angered him. Simply knowing that she had been keeping such a huge secret from him, even though she was the only person he would bother talking to. 

Turning his head once again to look at Y/n who was looking off into the distance, he wondered what other huge secrets she was keeping from him. 

"Thorfinn." 

Y/n was once again pulled out of her deep thoughts, turning her head to also face Thorfinn. She felt a bit uncomfortable with the inappropriate distance between them, but then again, she was posing as a male.