36.

Chapter 36.
Irresistible

The sun was down, moon and stars littering the sky.

Inside feasting were Thorkell's 500 men, along with Askeladd, Y/n, Gunnar, Thorkell, Asgeir and of course the prince himself. Those six ate secluded from the others at the far back as they spoke privately.

The middle-aged vikings spoke of the events that rolled out earlier, wondering who had ordered for the prince to be rumoured. Askeladd smirking as he overheard their conversation, this was exactly what he wanted to happen.

"Nothing more than a rumour." He quoted what one of the vikings said, "Is exactly what we want: not too hot, not too cold, just right." He stood against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. Thorkell holding an abnormal size of meat in his hand by the bone, taking a huge bite of it. Beside Thorkell sat Y/n with a much smaller piece, but unlike Thorkell she didn't lay a finger on her food; not holding much of an appetite tonight. Taking a sip of her drink, her gaze occasionally wondered off to Gunar, trying to read his body language.

"Bringing out proof will only raise the enemy's hackles and hasten confrontation. We want his majesty's side to remain a bit lax. So it's just a rumour that the king wants to kill prince Canute. A rumour that happens to be true." Askeladd further explained.

Thorkell stopped eating for a moment, leaning his chin against his palm as his elbow was propped up on the table.

"Was the assassin your work in the first place? It's all self-orchestrated?" He inquired with a raised brow.

"Indeed, executed to perfection wasn't it?" Askeladd began before extending both his arms in gesture, "rumours are useless if the king doesn't show his hand at any point. But after our little production, now there's a touch of believability to the rumour that'll make the townsfolk buy it."

Y/n's eyes narrowed at Gunnar as she noticed his eyes widen slightly.

"Everyone within the army knows of the squabble between princes Harald and Canute. And now there's been an attempt on his life. My question to you is: how will this affect tomorrows meeting?"

Canute's fingers were intertwined on in his lap, "I see.. Now the king cannot give me orders that are meant to disadvantage me."

"Exactly, your highness."

All the heads of involved in the conversation turned to face Y/n who answered the prince.

"If he takes Thorkell away from you, or sends us into fierce combat, it will only fan the flames of the rumours. He cannot make his move before the army officers." Y/n looked down in her cup, swishing around the liquid before lifted her gaze back onto Canute. "Believe it or not, a king depends on the favour of his people. And needless to say, his majesty king Sweyn is a clever man. He cannot simply disregard the rumours swirling among his soldiers--"

"Particularly charges of filicide," Askeladd interrupted, finishing for Y/n as he walked to her side to pour himself a drink.

"Oh, you two are quite devious. Where do you learn stuff like this Askeladd?" Thorkell spoke up once again, taking interest in the two.

"Picking up a few new tricks? Muscle is not all that counts in a fight Thorkell." Askeladd chuckled, sitting between Thorkell and Y/n while taking a sip from his cup.

"This would seem to have tied the king's hands for the time being... It's a good plan, it's bought us time."

Askeladd thanked the prince, while Y/n only nodded.

"But Askeladd, you are forbidden from using another body double for me. Is that understood?"

"Yes, I apologize, my prince."