41.

Chapter 41
Foolish

"Askeladd..I hate you."

She didn't, she didn't hate him at all. She was just angry, Y/n felt so betrayed the words fell from her lips without control last night. 

But it wasn't true, none of it was true at all.

After all, even if he were technically her uncle and not her father, she still loved him like one. And nothing could change that, nothing. 

"Fool.. Quit squalling in my ear boy. Let an old man get some rest.." Askeladd spat out towards Thorfinn, "Hurry up and finish me off.. I'm sorry about the wait, my life is yours now. I've used it all up anyway, not that I regret any of it. Kill me, we're enemies are we not?" 

To Thorfinn this felt like another one of his tormenting nightmares, he believed his eyes and ears were deceiving him. 

"You two are.. going to die? You..? You're kidding right?" Thorfinn said breathlessly. 

"Do it quick, there's no time." Askeladd huffed, his words causing anger to rise within Thorfinn. 

"You think this is a joke...?" Thorfinn muttered under his breath, standing over Askeladd he grabbed a handful of his shirt. "This isn't how it's supposed to be!! Our fight wasn't supposed to end this way!" He shouted shaking the limp body. "You can't do this to me!! You can't die!! Get up, stand up and fight me right now!! I'm the one who's supposed to kill you, you son of a bitch!!"

As Thorfinn continued to yell his heart out his words passed through Askeladd's ear and out the other. 

"Honestly..this is what I hate about kids.." He spoke weakly, "Haven't you given a thought, to what you're going to live for after I'm dead Thorfinn?" 

"Y/n." The name fell from Thorfinn's mouth the second after Askeladd muttered the question. That was the plan, he wanted to spend the rest of his days with Y/n after he'd avenged his father as well as prevented her death by Askeladd's sword.

But everything was tarnished. 

"Ha, ha.." Askeladd wasn't surprised by Thorfinn's answer in the slightest, he couldn't help but chuckle. "You'll have to move on Thorfinn.. You are the son of Thors, so venture beyond the world he saw. That..Is your true battle, be a true warrior..Son of Thors.." 

Feeling a hand grab his own, Askeladd turned his head to face the girl beside him. 

"Did you think..I'd just stand back and wat--watch you die..--" Y/n coughed up blood, her voice extremely weak as she spoke to Askeladd. "Father..?" 

It was no surprise Y/n had stepped in to protect Askeladd, she always did on the battlefield, so what makes this situation any different? 

Askeladd and Y/n were the only two still awake on the boat, the rest of the band of vikings fast asleep as the moon illuminated the sky. 

"Y/n," Askeladd was first to break the silence between the two as they sat side by side, Y/n busy sharpening her blade. 

"Yes?" She didn't bother turn her head to look up at Askeladd, holding her sword up straight she examined it. 

"Look at me." He demanded, Y/n turning her head to face him. "What you did today, never do it again." Askeladd warned, Y/n furrowing her brows and shaking her head.

"A promise I cannot make, Father." 

Earlier today as they fought in a tough battle, a man had almost struck Askeladd from behind. Luckily Y/n was there to cut the man down, but as a result winded up wounded herself. She was fortunate that the stab could be easily treated, because if she had been impaled in any vital region she surely would've died then and there.