38.

Chapter 38.
Don't hurt Frode. 
A COUPLE YEARS LATER 
MEI'S POV

"Askeladd! You're back," I smiled, hugging the man who'd just entered my shared home with Frode. He had finally returned from Wales, without his mother who he revealed to us passed in her homeland. 

Frode of course was sad not to have been with his mother during her last moments, but was overall content with his brothers return. As he was beginning to fear he would never come back from Wales.

"Brother, you must be hungry. Please, come sit. Mei has made some dinner." 

As we all seated around the table, Askeladd told us more about Wales and the people there. I listened attentively, after all Frode and I originally wanted to accompany him all those years ago. Though Askeladd urged us to stay behind. 

I desperately wished to travel.

"Mei, don't you think it's time we reveal to Askeladd the great news?" Frode looked at me with a smile, grabbing my hand that was on the table giving it a soft squeeze. 

"Ah, yes." I nodded, my eyes flickered to Askeladd who was taking a spoonful of his food. It was a bit obvious he enjoyed the food. "Askeladd, your brother and I are expecting." I couldn't help but smile as Frode's hand went down to my small baby bump that was barely visible under the dress I wore. 

"Expecting? Expecting what?" Askeladd dropped his spoon, genuinely confused as he furrowed his brows at my words. 

"A child," Frode completed, watching as Askeladd's face lifted from one of confusion to pure shock. 

"A..A child..?" He reached out to the water, gulping it down quickly. Maybe a bit too fast because he suddenly broke out into a coughing fit as he choked on the liquid. Coughing some of it up into his hand, his ears flushed red in both embarrassment and fluster. 

I couldn't suppress my laughter as Frode passed on his own glass to his brother for him to calm his choking. 

"Are you alright, Askeladd?" I spoke between my laughs, watching as Askeladd collected himself. 

"Yeah," He coughed once more. "But a child? Are you sure you're pregnant?" Askeladd inquired with slightly wide eyes. 

"We're sure." Frode answered for me, as we made eye contact my lips spread into a tightlipped smile. 

"Aren't we all still a bit too young brother?" Askeladd asked, taking another sip of Frode's water before taking another spoonful of his dinner. 

"Well..We hadn't planned for this to happen just yet..Kind of just in the heat of the moment I couldn't pull--" 

Askeladd coughed loudly on purpose, my cheeks burning red.

"We may still be young, but we're definitely old enough." Frode wrapped up, "Brother, when will you find a woman of your own..?" 

"Yeah?" I chimed in, "aren't you interested in starting a family of your own..? There are plenty of fine woman here in Jut--" 

"I'd never lay in bed with a Dane." The tone of his voice dropped, "I'd never breed with such whorish--"

Frode slammed his hand down on the table, seemingly snapping Askeladd out of his trance. 

There was an awkward pause, the air became tense and I felt like I was shrinking under Askeladd's stare. 

Sometimes I forget.. His hatred for the Danes. 

"Please do not feel insulted by my words Mei," Askeladd began his apology, "you're different from the rest of your kind." Although I put up a fake smile, I felt as if Askeladd's words were forced.