39.

Chapter 39
Feast with the king
PRESENT DAY

THE NEXT MORNING

"Where is Y/n and Thorfinn, Askeladd..?" Canute whispered to the man standing beside him as they stood in the kings throne room about to take part in the celebration feast.

"Ah..Thorfinn is outside, he was pouting about how he didn't want to be here." Askeladd began, scratching the back of his head. "I have no clue where Y/n is, I haven't seen her since last ni--"

"I'm here,"

The girl suddenly appeared, stepping between the both of them causing most eyes in the room to dart towards the girl who seemingly came out from nowhere. Canute's eyes widened slightly as he took in her appearance, she was wearing the dress he had made for her. Just as he imagined when he had first seen the fabric, the f/c casual dress fit her body perfectly. As for her hair, it was brought up into a neat bun. Some of her baby hairs escaping the hairstyle and flowing freely.

"You look beautiful," The prince commented, though the words fell out his mouth subconsciously he was lucky to have still kept his voice down. His compliment only reaching the ears of the two standing beside him.

"Thank you." She quickly responded, then gestured her hand down to the jewelry hanging around her neck. "Highness, you failed to mention this gift last night as well." As Canute looked down at the necklace around her neck, due to their height difference he accidentally looked down into the cleavage of her dress. His eyes instantly snapped back up to her e/c eyes, an embarrassed blush coating his cheeks.

It seemed the prince was very lucky today, because Y/n was too busy looking down at the gold necklace she didn't even notice.

Askeladd did though, and he glared at the prince before shaking his head and averting his eyes elsewhere. Scanning the faces of the men who stood in the room with them.

"It was supposed to be a surprise, do you like it?" Canute asked, noticing the small but seemingly forced smile on Y/n's face.

"Yes, I've never worn jewelry before, your highness.. Thank you, again." She spoke honestly, giving him a quick nod.

"I'm glad," Canute's lips couldn't help but turn up into a small smile as well. Almost everyone in the room watching and trying to ease-drop on the conversation. It was as clear as day to decipher the way the prince looked down at the girl, and some began to whisper amongst each other.

Were the prince and Y/n Karlsefni involved with each other??

It was certainly no secret that she was working as the prince's guard, but now to the public eye it seemed to be more.

And as the King observed the two, he certainly did not like it.

Askeladd noticing the stares placed a hand on Y/n's back, gently pushing her forward.

"We should go sit now.." He briefly said, nodding off the prince who went to stand by his father at the front. Y/n wanted to do nothing but swat Askeladd's hand away, but she resisted from creating a scene. She simply allowed him to guide them to their seat beside Thorkell at one of the many tables.

"Thorkell," Y/n acknowledged the man who sat with his arms crossed, a bright smile overtaking his features.

"Y/n, you must take after your mother! You are very good looking, unlike your father! Ahahaha-!" Thorkell joked, Y/n forcing a laugh as she sunk into the seat beside him, Askeladd sitting on Thorkell's other side.

"I would hope so," Y/n responded, making sure to quickly cut her eyes to Askeladd before back to Thorkell who was pouring her out a drink. She mumbled a quick thank you to Thorkell as she took the cup into her hand before taking a small sip.