57.

Chapter 57
Return

The next day Y/n found herself on the docks with Leif again, this time she sat comfortably on the boat across from the old man.

Was she supposed to be here? Absolutely not. She was supposed to be in town with Canute's men making sure the plan went over smoothly.

The plan for a man of Canute's army to rile Olmar up into drawing his sword to fight, ultimately rigging the fight so he'd win then arrest him for treason. Implicating Ketil in his son's crime, they'd have the opportunity to seize him and his treasures-- his land.

Y/n wanted no parts in that, the plan made her sick.

Not only did she think it was no different from the raids she did as vikings, but Ketil was her link to Thorfinn. But what was she supposed to do? Oppose to Canute and Wulf's plan?

"I should've warned Ketil.." Y/n mumbled to herself, burying her head into her hands.

"What was that?" Leif questioned, Y/n only shaking her head and waving her hand as if she said nothing of importance. Leif decided not to push it further, taking a sip of his water. "Why don't we continue our conversation where we left off?"

"Ah.. Yes, you were telling me about the stories you used to tell Thorfinn when he was younger?" Hands falling from her face and back down into her lap, Y/n straightened out her posture. As Leif began to retell the days of Thorfinn's past her lips turned up into a small genuine smile.

This was her first time hearing so much about Thorfinn's childhood, and she could picture a young Thorfinn attentively listening to Leifs tales. A part of her wished she could've met Thorfinn then. Still, even though she never had the chance to know Thorfinn before he was hardened by the world of violence; she still got to see some of his soft side.

"It must've really shocked you to see Thorfinn the way he was that day.." Y/n chuckled, referring to their encounter years ago.

"I was just glad to see he was alive!" Leif threw his arms up dramatically, drawing out another laugh from the woman across from him.

"So..You're going back with Ketil to his farm..?" She inquired, the smile on Leif's face instantly fading.

Looking down at his feet he scratched his jaw, "It's almost impossible to convince my men right now.. We already have a long way home and winter is almost here."

"But you have to." Y/n raised her voice slightly, she knew what was coming and Leif had to get Thorfinn; he had to take him home.

"But what if it isn't him.." Leif kept his head lowered in shame, "over the years I thought I finally found him so many times, and I was wrong."

Y/n sprung up to her feet, "Thorfinn is on Ketil's farm." The shift in her tone as well as her suddenly standing up caused Leif to raise his head. Her fist clenched by her side, "I know it! Trust me Leif, this is different from all those other times."

Locking eyes with the h/c haired girl, the corners of his lips turned up in a small smile-- "Tell that to my men."

Y/n blinked at him dubiously, "that's all it'll take?" Y/n asked, but her tone came off sarcastic as if she said a rhetorical question. Without hesitation she walked away from Leif and towards one of the men on ship moving barrels.

Reaching out to the man who had his back turned to him, before her hand could come down on his shoulder a yell caught the attention of everyone.

"Help!!!!"

Hand falling limp by her said her head turned in the direction of the voice.

'huh?'

Y/n blinked numerous times at the approaching figures in pure disbelief, even rubbing her eyes as if it'd undo the illusion. She couldn't help but think her mind was playing tricks on her again, but when her gaze drifted over to Leif who sprung up from his seat, she knew the scary sight was true.