16

Chapter 16.
Trauma

Askeladd sighed as he went down in front of his daughter on one knee, not to far behind him stood Ama.

"I have bad news kid."

CENTRAL ENGLAND 
DECEMBER 1013

Winter...

Y/n's arms were crossed underneath her cloak as she tried to warm herself as much as she could as she stood in the blizzard beside the prince, in front of them stood Thorfinn. She couldn't help but wonder what Bo was up to, during the winter she was usually back in Jutland babysitting the boy. 

Looking to her side at a shivering Canute, she let out a small chuckle, "Who could've predicted their to be a blizzard at the beginning of winter in the smack middle of England." She shook her head in disbelief. 

The prince only nodded his head in response, he liked snow, but he wasn't a fan of cold weather. The three of them watched as the vikings slowly made their way into the village, Y/n was happy she wouldn't have to participate in the raid. 

She hated raids. 

In all honesty, she would rather enter battle with Thorkell than enter the home of innocent people and slaughter children. 

But at the same time, if she were to politely ask a villager if she could stay in their house, if they knew of her danish background the chances of them letting her stay were slim to nothing. And they needed somewhere to stay, so they would have to take it by force.

"Raiding and pillaging.. The honored tradition of the Nordic people."  Y/n said to no one in particular as she turned her head the opposite way, not in the mood to see people being dragged from their houses. 

"Y/n! What are you still doing here? You are to be with Bjorn!" Askeladd raised a brow at his daughter who turned to stare at him wide-eyed. 

"I am?!" 

"Yes! Thorfinn will stay with the prince, you get your ass down there! We cannot afford anyone to escape." 

Y/n groaned and slumped her shoulder in defeat, before jogging to walk with Bjorn. 

"Bjorn, there is nothing I hate more than raids." She informed while throwing her head back in annoyance, the much older man only rolled his eyes, this had to be about the hundredth time she told him this. 

"I know brat." 

"Then you know I won't be drawing my sword--correct?" 

The two were now standing in front of a door about to enter. 

"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES GOOD PEOPLE! THE VILLAGE IS UNDER ATTACK!! THE DAN--"  The priest was yelling in english standing in the middle of the village. He earned a fist to the jaw by a viking, knocking him out cold. 

"What was that about..?" Bjorn asked the girl as they watched the unconscious monk be tied up, gagged, then dragged through the snow by his feet. 

"The drunken priest, was screaming in english to inform the villagers of our arrival. The people inside probably know we're here now." Y/n returned her gaze to the door.