46.

Chapter 46
Reunited.  

A month later, Mercia pleaded for a truce. 

NEAR THE BORDER OF MERCIA AND THE DANELAW
CENTRAL ENGLAND

Y/n stood up straight beside Floki with tired eyes, yawning she focused her eyes on the man who was approaching on his horse. Behind him followed over a hundreds of his own men and by his side was his adviser; the cone-headed man Gunnar. 

As the leading man drew closer, Y/n was able to make out his facial features easier. 

He hardly looked the same, in a single year he changed so much. 

The girl couldn't help but wonder if she also looked much different, though she doubted it. Everything about her felt so stagnant after all. 

As he approached them, his eyes cut onto their figures. Immediately, both Floki and Y/n placed a hand to their heart; bowing slightly in respect.  

"I am honoured by your visit, your majesty." Floki spoke, Y/n's lips sealed shut as she decided to let Floki do the speaking. 

"How goes the planning, Floki, Y/n?" Canute asked, Y/n curiously raising her eyes when he heard his voice directly in front of them. Canute's pure goatee and cut hair that reached just below his chin changed his appearance drastically, his face had matured greatly throughout one year and the scar on his cheek only made him appear more masculine.  

"Very good, my king. They are ready and waiting." As Floki spoke Y/n raised her head completely, noticing how Canutes eyes were on her the whole time. It seemed he really wanted to tell or ask her something, but chose not to. 

"However it is not necessary for your majesty to meet with them directly. We can easily handle the matter on our--" Y/n decided to finally speak up only for Canute to cut her off and object. 

"No, I will go. I wish to see the effects of the war." He gave his final input.

"Earl Eadric of Mercia is small-hearted, he is not worthy of your presence." Y/n commented, only for Canute to shake his head as his eyes wondered elsewhere. 

"His character and his worth to me are two separate things. In any case, I will be the judge of the matter." Y/n pursed her lips, casting her gaze back down to the ground after noticing how cold the eyes of the kings were. 

His stare had hardened so much over the years as well, maybe that's why she barely recognized him. 

"Besides, I have other reasons for coming all the way to the front." 

Seemingly right on cue, Thorkell made his grand entrance. The sound of his yell announcing his presence as he charged at Canute on a wagon steered by two horses. Yelling out the king's name from the top of his lungs, neglecting his etiquette when addressing a man of Canute's statues. 

"I must soothe the savage beast. No doubt he was more than you could handle." Canute spoke, making it clear that his other reasons for coming to the front was to put Thorkell in line. Truthfully, Thorkell was too much for any regular person to handle; Floki certainly not being an exception. 

Jumping from the wagon as he drew closer, Thorkell didn't care for the cries of men as they hurriedly ran out of the way in fear to avoid being crushed by the horse or wagon they were pulling as it crashed.