28.

Chapter 28
Scared

"Thorfinn?" Y/n had just walked out with her crutches when she saw a figure training with a bucket roped to a tree

Turning her body to have a more clear look at the person who she suspected to be the grumpy teen. She observed as they smashed the bucket, turning their head slightly Y/n caught a glimpse of Thorfinn's scowl.

"Thorfinn?!" Y/n was surprised to see Thorfinn's broken arm wrapped up so his blade was attached to his arm. She raised a brow as her mouth parted slightly, the boy had now turned to fully face the girl as well.

"What." He rudely snapped back in response, clearly not in a good mood.

Returning his glare, Y/n opened her mouth to speak but closed it quickly as she shook her head moving her gaze to the ground as she tightened her fist.

The stunt he'd pulled earlier was still getting on her nerves. Y/n wasn't sure what she felt for the boy, but as her eyes flickered back up to his brown orbs she prayed it wasn't that same feeling Askeladd told her about years ago. She prayed she wasn't feeling for Thorfinn the same way her dad felt for her mom.

For one, she was almost certain that the feelings were unrequited. Another thing being that even if he did return these feelings, what would become of them? At the end of the day, they were vikings.

Thorfinn was only here to kill Askeladd in a duel, while Y/n was here with Askeladd to help him.

The two stood in silence, the wind causing Y/n to shiver slightly from the cool breeze. Thorfinn wiping the sweat from his forehead, he then focused on adjusting the wraps to make them tighter.

Y/n didn't know what to say, or rather she didn't want to say anything at all as she mutely admired Thorfinn from a distance.

She sometimes felt like she was so far behind him.

Of course, there were the small moments were Thorfinn would open up to her. But other times, like right now, she felt like there was a wall separating them.

"T-Thorfinn!" She called out his name, cursing herself mentally for stuttering, "you shouldn't be training." Y/n was hesitant on approaching him, and instead stood in her spot.

"I duel Askeladd tonight." Was all he said in response, the fact that he was going to duel Askeladd made Y/n want to rip out her hair in frustration.

"What do you mean you're going to duel Askeladd!? With one arm!?" Y/n exclaimed, her facial expression Thorfinn read easily.

She thought he was a dumbass.

The boy didn't respond and only rolled his eyes in response, only turning his back to her once again as he bent over to grab another bucket. Y/n was almost fuming at this point, as she finally began to make her way closer to the stubborn boy.