51.

Chapter 51 
Arrival to Jelling

In the end, Thorfinn, Einar and the farmhands faced no punishments from Ketil for their actions. Thanks to Pater bringing forth evidence of the farmhands destroying the pairs work; Ketil was willing to sweep the fight under the rug. 

Y/n laid sprawled out on the bed fast asleep, drool leaking from her mouth she slept like a baby. Some of her messy long h/c hair covered her face, the blanket she slept with barely covering her body giving away how much she tossed and turned.

She'd already been knocked out for hours, the knock on the door wasn't enough to wake her; but it was enough for the man who sat in the chair near the bed. 

"Your pardon, Majesty.. It is time to wake, the ship will land in jelling momentarily King Canute." 

Said man was sitting in a wooden chair with a book in his lap. As he slept, his head was thrown backwards with a thin cloth covering his face. 

Awaking from his slumber, he sat up properly and pulled the cloth off. He peaked over at the bed, curious to see if Y/n woke up from the knocking; but she was still fast asleep. 

The frown he woke up with tugged into a small smile, it'd been a while since he seen the girl sleeping so peacefully by his side. 

Picking up the book from his lap he set it onto his desk before walking to the foot of his bed. 

Bending over he placed one of his hands onto the bed to keep himself from falling, the other moving strands of hair out of Y/n's face. 

"Y/n," His matured bass voice called out her name in attempt to wake her, only for the woman to murmur something incoherent in her sleep. 

Canute's steel blue eyes trailed off from her calm resting face and down her body. The loose shirt she was wearing rode up halfway as a result of the way she slept, exposing the nasty scar running across her upper body. 

 He couldn't help but stare at the scar he didn't see often, remembering how frightened he was the day he seen her cut down. 

"Y/n wake up," He repeated her name, a part of him wished he could get into bed with her and fall back asleep with her in his arms; but that simply wasn't an option. 

Hand clasping down delicately on one of her shoulders, he shook her gently. Still deep in slumber, Y/n who was laying on her back turned to her side. This causing Canute's hand to slip off her as she turned away from his touch. 

Canute sighed at Y/n's actions, her behavior only further tempting him. Now having to lean over even more so he was hovering over her, his hand tapped her cheek gingerly. 

This seemed to do the trick as her e/c eyes fluttered open. 

Pulling his hand back to his side and standing up straight, his eyes never left her figure. Observing how she slowly sat up by shifting all her weight onto her sole arm. 

"Ah.. Canute why didn't you wake me? I hogged up your bed," Turning her head to lock eyes with the handsome man she failed to suppress her yawn. 

"I tried to wake you up but you were long gone," Canute lied through his teeth, knowing damn well he didn't make a single attempt to wake her up last night.