24

A/N: So everyone here already knows Thors past with Thorkell, as well as how Thorkell and Thorfinn's duel ends. So I'm skipping it. 

Chapter 24
united forces

'blue...'

E/c eyes peeling open the first view Y/n was met with was the bright blue upper atmosphere surrounding the earth, the colour reminding her of the sea. Her memory was clouded, body aching all over. She could hear voices from underneath her,

'underneath? wait how did I get up here in this tree.... Oh yeah... I was in a truel.. A truel.. The truel!'

Y/n sat up quickly but a sharp pain immediately shot through her whole body, a cry leaving her lips. Her body was set off balance, and before she knew it she was falling out of the tree. 

"Oof!" 

Prepared to be eating a face full of snow, Y/n was staggered when her body didn't land on the blanket of snow, but in someones arms. In all honesty, once her back made harsh contact with the steely arms-- she wished she had instead fell into the snow. Groaning in discomfort her eyes searched to meet the ones of the person who caught her. Expecting to lock eyes with Thorfinn, Y/n's eyes widened when she was faced with Thorkell the tall. 

The man had bandages wrapped around his head and one of his eyes. 

"Ah- you guys were wrong, he's wide aw-yEOW!" 

No matter how much it pained her to move her body, Y/n's right hand moved at the speed of light to punch the man square in the nose with all her power. Not ready to get a fist to the face, especially his sensitive nose, Thorkell dropped the girl as both his hands instinctively went up to his broken bone.

As soon as her body hit the ground she flipped over so she was on her stomach ready to crawl away as she knew her legs would fail her. 

"Huh?" 

Y/n blinked multiple times in confusion. 

Still surrounded by Thorkell's men of course, she was confused when she seen Thorfinn's arm in a sling, Y/n was even more dumbstruck when her eyes landed on the prince as well. 

"Just how long have I been out?" She asked no one in particular as she used the tree to help balance herself when she got up to her feet. 

"Long enough." Canute said as he approached the girl, both of Y/n's brows raised when she saw the fire burning behind the princes blue eyes. She was staring at a completely different person, it was as if he had been reborn. "Thorkell is no longer our enemy, but my thegn." The prince informed.

"Thorkell is on our side????" The girl was having a hard time processing the new information, seeing as neither Thorfinn or Thorkell was dead-- she assumed that Canute had interjected. 

Thorfinn's glare towards the prince darkened as he watched Canute step closer and closer to Y/n until they were barely an arms length away. 

Vision focused on Canute, Y/n's breath hitched when the princes soft hand cupped her cheek as his thumb ran over a new cut going right across her upper jaw. As a result, smearing her blood on the side of her face that was beginning to go red. 

The prince's lips turned up into a smirk,

'who is this..?' Y/n was once again starting to question reality, thinking that she was having a really bad hallucination. 'Wow I hit my head really hard didn't I?' 

Askeladd chuckled at the sight of a fuming Thorfinn. 

"That'll certainly leave a scar.. Well another scar with an interesting backstory hm?" The prince said, hinting at the time Y/n told her the stories behind her battle scars. "Ah, that too." Pointing down at her leg the flustered girl quickly looked down. 

"!!!!" 

She hadn't even noticed the branch that impaled her thigh, and the excruciating pain came along with the acknowledgement of the wound. 

"T-Thorfinn please pass me my cloak..." Y/n asked the boy, realizing he was standing close to her abandoned article of clothing. Said boy waisted no time to hand Y/n her cloak. 

Wrapping her small hand around the branch Y/n made a mental count of three before pulling out the wood. Bitting her lips to suppress her moan, she then ripped her cloak using it as a bandage to wrap around her thigh and help stop the bleeding. 

"When we reach Gainsborough I'll see to it that your wound is looked after, right now there is a high chance of it becoming infected." Hearing the prince address her Y/n's head snapped back up so her eyes could meet his. Folding her lips, Y/n felt heat rise to her cheeks as she nervously gazed back down to her wound. 

Thorfinn's gaze flickering between Canute and Y/n, jealousy rising in his chest. 

"Thank you, your highness." 

"Aren't we friends Y/n? Why the sudden timidity?" Canute teased noticing the pink dusting her cheeks, his chest swelling with pride. He turned his back to her to walk away, "Thorkell, Y/n is incapable of marching the way to Gainsborough. You will carry him." 

Thorkell only nodded in response before picking up the girl and throwing her over his shoulder like she was a sack of potatoes. 

"Now, if you will follow then do so! We march to drag King Sweyn off his throne!" Canute announced confidently before mounting the horse provided to him. 

As they began their march, Askeladd walked close to the prince while Thorfinn behind Thorkell who was holding Y/n, Lastly followed by Thorkells 500 men. Thorfinn surprised when Y/n chuckled at him as soon as her eyes landed on his figure. 

"What?" He grumbled already upset with the girl. 

"From up here you look like an ant." She jested, but Thorfinn did nothing but roll his eyes not understanding how her mood had flipped over so easily. "No but it all seriousness Thorfinn.." She spoke in a quieter and much more hused tone, "what the hell happened to the prince, and your arm.. And the truel!" Throwing all questions to him at once, she noticed how closed off the boy was as he crossed his arms over his chest and looked away.

"What the hell is going on with you and the prince." He spat under his breath, but his words reached Y/n who was listening attentively. 

"Nothing." Y/n raised a finger to her cheek as she scratched it, "Are you really gonna just leave me clueless on those questions?" She huffed when Thorfinn didn't even glance at her, "whatever, as long as both you and Askeladd are okay then I'm fine." 

Thorfinn felt a warm feeling in his chest that fought off his jealous feelings knowing that Y/n cared for him just as much as she did Askeladd. 

"I broke my arm during the same fall that knocked you out.. I beat Thorkell but his men interrupted the truel before I could finish him off.. The prince, I have no clue, something must've happened back with Bjorn." Thorfinn answered her questions putting her up to speed with things. "H-How is your head..." Remembering the worry and anger that pumped through him when she flew off her horse earlier, and now while in combat with Thorkell. 

"Terrible, when I was standing earlier I literally felt like I would black out any second.. Now I have this dreadful throbbing in my head." Y/n spoke back referring to her awful headache, Thorfinn's scowl softened when his eyes blinked back to Y/n noticing her frown. "I just feel so useless, maybe if I wasn't so weak your arm wouldn't be in that sling.. And I would be walking beside you.." 

"Then get stronger." Thorfinn bluntly replied, he wasn't one to beat around the bush or sugar coat things to avoid hurting feelings. "Stop bitching." 

A small smile cracked onto Y/n's face, "Yeah I am being a bitch aren't I?"