54.

Chapter 54
Love birds(?) 

OCTOBER 1018

At kings Harald's residence on the training grounds plenty of Canute's men joined by women working within the large home formed a circle to observe the spar. 

It wasn't peculiar for such a huge crowd to come out to watch, as every time his highness picked up a sword he drew in a crowd. 

No one dared to speak too loud and potentially hinder Canute's focus, the sound of the metal swords clashing drowning out the comments they made to one another. 

Of course, no one dared to critique the king in his presence, only saying words of praise even at his missteps. 

In the crowd of yes-men was none other than Y/n who stood alone, focused on analyzing the way Canute fought against Wulf; taking mental notes of the feedback she'd give him later. 

After all, he needed someone who'd be brutally honest with the skills he needed to improve on; someone who wouldn't go easy on him.

Y/n knew if she were a man she'd be the one sparing with Canute.

She was a much more formidable swordsman than Wulf, and played a huge role in teaching Canute how to wield a sword. She'd spared with him in private many times before. 

However, it was decided that Canute's public spars would be with Wulf instead of her. 

Why? It'd damage the kings reputation to be seen sparing with a woman, no matter how feared her name.

So instead she was on the sidelines, receiving dirty looks from the female servants. 

Canute was right, the tension that'd spread around the residence after the night the servant had walked in on the pair had died down. 

While the situation had never been addressed, seeing the distance between the two who used to seemingly be glued at the hip was enough for some to lose suspicion. 

Of course not fully, Y/n never dealt with comments being said to her face as people were far to cowardly to approach her; but she still heard the whispers and gossip. 

The stares, but she was used to the stares. It wasn't everyday one would see a woman in her position-- a maimed one at that. 

Still, she never ate food that wasn't prepared in front of her. She wouldn't dare to allow herself to become tipsy and stuck to water on most occasions. 

"Oh god.." Y/n mumbled under her breath in reaction to Canute messing up his footing making it harder to defend himself properly against Wulf's blow. She could see Wulf holding back, she knew fully well if it was her she wouldn't hold back on any of her swings. 

She felt Canute needed to be knocked down, because Canute obviously understood things would be different on the battlefield. Canute already knew his opponents wouldn't be holding back in the same manner Wulf was right now. 

But he needed to experience the feeling defending himself against a man truly trying to cut him down. Or else he may never be ready for battle. 

Away from the crowd stood Lady Estrid and Gunnar, the innocent woman expressing her concern seeing the men duel with real swords. As her eyes left the two and wondered onto Y/n's figure, she couldn't help but wonder how a woman could emerge herself in a world of violence. 

Estrid didn't hold any malice against Y/n, she truly had no ill intentions that night she'd sent the servant to Canute's chamber. She was curious is all.