Another Life

As Xenovia starts to fall asleep I reach for my phone and call Vali.

"Do you know what time it is Y/N?"

"That's not important," I respond. "I've got a question to ask you, about the Khaos Brigade. Did you know of any plans that they had for Kyoto, potentially about the leader of the fox Youkai in the area?"

"Not much about it, but if I had to guess it's probably another one of Ophis' grand schemes to get Great Red to show up outside of the Dimensional Gap. Did something happen?"

"Yeah, the person in question has been kidnapped. Our group was attacked today while we were going around Kyoto, and they were demanding that I return her. I didn't know what they meant but I offered to help, even though that didn't change anything. That's all I was wondering, thanks Vali."

"Whatever Y/N. If you need any help out there let me know." I hang up the phone and decide to wiggle my way out from Xenovia's grasp. As much as I would love to just chill on this trip I know what I have to do to get stronger, and with a battle potentially approaching that needs to happen now more than ever. I make my way out of my room and sneak my way to the roof of the hotel, summoning Ddraig once I reach the top.

"Classic Y/N, not wanting to give yourself any rest, even when you should be."

"You and I both know I need to get even stronger now with what's going on. Whoever took the leader of the Youkai has to be serious business, and if it's assholes from the Khaos Brigade then that doesn't make it any better."

"Is that how you really feel Y/N?" Looking to where the voice came from I see Ophis sitting on the railing of the rooftop.

"It's not just that, I don't see why innocent people have to suffer for your goals." Ophis comes down and walks towards me. "I know I can't do anything to stop you, but I don't think you have to do these things. If you want Great Red to come from the Dimensional Gap I could always use my Juggernaut Drive again." Ophis smiles at me.

"If it was only that simple my sweet Red Dragon. Even if you did that the power of it alone wouldn't be enough. It happened last time because of your encounter with Loki, a godly figure and his minions facing off against one of the Heavenly Dragons who was at his full power at the time. Let me help you train tonight, you know what you need to do and I can help you before you need to go back out into Kyoto tomorrow."

"I still don't understand why you want to help me so much Ophis. You say it's complicated and that I wouldn't understand, but I don't know why I couldn't. I'm much smarter than you give me credit for, so just tell me why you care so much." Ophis takes a few steps back.

"If you are able to succesfully recover the leader of the fox Youkai of Kyoto, then I will explain everything to you Y/N. If you do that then you will have proved to me all I needed to know. For now though let's get to training. You only have a few hours before your classmates wake up and the day starts." I guess I don't have much of a choice if the Infinity Dragon wants to help me for awhile. I won't turn down the help either.

The Next Morning

"You've done very well Y/N," Ophis commends me. "How do you feel?"

"Honestly, not that much different. Maybe I've mastered the Knight promotion, but that won't be enough. There's still more to be done." The sun is almost up and I know I don't have much time before Xenovia comes looking for me. "Still, I appreciate you helping me Ophis." She doesn't say anything, instead giving me another smile before floating away. For a being who is supposed to be infinite the training didn't seem that productive. It devolved into me being promoted into a Knight and trying to hit Ophis who seemed like she was moving faster than the speed of light. After the promotion wore off I didn't feel anything different so I'm wondering if that only applies to that promotion.