State of Mind

After finishing the work we had for the Fall Festival the group of us make our way home to train.

"Y/N," Rias asks, "did you have a specific plan for our training today?"

"Kind of, but it was more of a teambuilding idea. Azazel said he would have a plan for us when we get there, but I have a couple of ideas on what I need to individually work on."

"What were you thinking?"

"It's about the power I took from Vali back at the summit. I haven't really used it to its full potential, and the more I'm able to hone it the better edge I'll have against Sairaorg. Physically he exceeds me in almost every aspect. Speed, strength, combat intelligence, I'm at a disadvantage in each of those areas, but having the power I do is what helps me stay on the same level as him. I can boost my power as much as I want, but it would be better for me to bring his own power down to help myself out in the long run." Rias nods her head as we reach home. "Alright everyone, get your training clothes on and we'll downstairs." The order I gave wasn't all that helpful as six of us all went into my room to get changed.

"You've been thinking a lot about this haven't you Y/N?" I turn to Ravel.

"Of course I have. I don't want to lose, no matter what. This may be a friendly match but I'm not looking at it like that. It's a competition against someone that I highly respect, and I want to show everyone that I'm not some pushover."

"I've never heard you talk about any of your opponents so highly before," Akeno notes.

"All of my former opponents were different. They all wanted me or the group of us dead, but Sairaorg doesn't feel that way at all. He wants a great match against people who will give him and his house a challenge, and I want to give him that." I look down into my hand. "I hate to say it, but as much as I've improved I know that he's done double the work, and his power has grown as a result. He's fought his entire life to get stronger and earn respect, and this is no different."

"You two aren't that different," Rias tells me. "You both overcome impossible odds and try to do the best for the people closest to you. You and Sairaorg both have strong wills that are impossible to break. The ultimate fight between the two of you could last until one of you dies, though I wouldn't allow that." I look up at Rias.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that."

"Y/N." Rias crosses her arms.

"It isn't like that. I don't think Sairaorg would purposely try to kill me, but he's still going to fight with his full power. All I'm asking you to do is trust me." She comes my way and hugs me.

"I do Y/N, honestly, but I hate nothing more than seeing you get hurt. Time and time again you put yourself through hell, and this time it's a friendly match. If I think you're going to die I'm calling it and that's final." I lean my head on top of Rias'.

"That won't happen, but I appreciate the sentiment dear." The four other girls join us in our embrace and I do my best to wrap my arms around all of them. We head down to the training room, but on the way Koneko grabs my hand.

"Between you and me I don't think he stands a chance. You two both work really hard, but you don't lose. I've only seen you lose once, and I know you won't allow that to happen." I rub my hand on her head and she smiles. 

"I may have lost that day but we won so that's all that matters." We enter the training room where everyone else is waiting for us. Not only are the members of Rias' house here, but it seems that Azazel was able to make good on what he said. It appears that everyone who helped out during the training before our Rating Game with Sona is here, as well as the other people living with us, Vali, Irina, and Kuroka. I walk up to Baraqiel and extend my hand.