The Response

The Next Morning

As I wake up I realize that neither Rias nor Akeno are with me. I think about what happened last night. Rias shows up out of nowhere, tries to get me to have sex with her, some woman I've never met shows up and scolds her, and the two of them leave. Rias wanted Akeno with her in this situation so it's gotta be something big. I grab my phone and call Kiba.

"What's up Y/N?"

"We gotta talk when we get to school, it's important."

"Is everything okay? You seem very serious."

"You're damn right I'm serious. I'll talk to you when we get there." I hang up the phone and walk to the kitchen. I see Asia but she doesn't ask me about last night.

"Are you okay Y/N?" I look at her confused. I don't think it's right to drag her into this, so I dance around it a little bit.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just had some trouble sleeping last night." She hands me a plate with breakfast on it and I eat it, albeit slowly, not really processing it as I go. I just can't get last night out of my head. I feel like I know what it's about but it still bothers me that I couldn't do anything. Asia and I arrive at school and I immediately look for Kiba. Asia seems worried but I tell her not to be and I try to find Kiba to tell him what's going on. Before I can I'm stopped by a familiar voice.

"Everything okay Y/N? You seem a little frantic this morning." I turn and see Sona and I realize I'm standing in front of the Student Council office.

"Well, not really." We go into the office and I tell her about what happened last night. I figure if anyone could help me right now it would probably be her.

"I see," she says. "I wasn't sure if you knew at all or when it was going to happen. In short, this has been in the works for a long time, and I wouldn't count on you being able to stop it."

"If there's any chance I need to know Sona," I plead to her. "Rias has given me a life I never would have thought possible, and the least I can do is make sure she doesn't have to be stuck with someone who doesn't give a damn about her." Sona smiles at me.

"You really care about her don't you?" I nod. "You know, when she first brought you in I thought she was insane. Yes, you have a powerful gear, but there was no easy way to know how you were going to react to all of this. She tells me about how hard you've worked for everyone around you, and that was what surprised me the most. You only seemed to care about yourself, but this is the first time I've seen you looking out for anyone else." She puts a hand on my shoulder. "There is one way."

"I don't care what I have to do, I'll do whatever it takes." Sona sits back down across from me.

"Tell me Y/N, has Rias ever told you about the Rating Game?"

"You guys talked about it the other day, right? Akeno gave me the basic rundown but I don't know much about them."

"That's your only chance. Between you and me, he is going to be here in a couple of days to see Rias. If you and her stand up against this, there's no choice but to have a rating game. Riser is good though, and I don't know if you all have what it takes to win." I look at Sona with determination.

"He might be good, but he hasn't fought me yet. I don't care about his track record, that's never stopped me before." I stand up to leave for class. "Thanks, Sona. Once this is over I'll make it up to you however I can." She smiles and sends me off, and I go sit in class. Once the middle of the day comes around I catch everyone to talk to them.

"You figure out what's going on Y/N?" Kiba asks and everyone else looks at me.

"Yes, but it's not my place to tell. Just know that some shit is going to go down in a couple of days."