Beyond Human

I know it's Sasuke in the thumbnail for the song but I've been listening to this on repeat since it came out so deal with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I would have loved to make good on what I told Xenovia and stay in bed all night, I'm not prepared to slack on my training. As I go back to where I was training the night before I see Ophis up there again. When she sees me her face stays emotionless, the way I've come to expect.

"You're not letting yourself get any sleep Y/N," she says. It almost seems like she's scolding me but at the same time not. For the leader of a group that kidnapped someone and is trying to cause as many problems as they can it seems like there may be even more to Ophis than I thought there was.

"I'll be fine," I tell her. "I can't afford to sleep right now with everything going on. While I'm trying to enjoy Kyoto like I was told I feel like I'm getting complacent."

"Are you enjoying Kyoto?" I sit down next to her.

"Yes I am, quite a bit. I wouldn't mind living here. The people are very kind and I've been enjoying everything. I want to come back with everyone next time, not just the people I'm in class with."

"For someone who didn't have a family for a long time you've become very family oriented Y/N." I look her way.

"What are you saying?" She inches closer to me.

"I'm saying that it was a big change for you. Most people would run if they ended up in this situation. They feel like they aren't deserving of the love and appreciation that the people around them show. Instead of opening up they shut themselves away from everyone, even themselves."

"I won't act like I haven't given that thought. You know, I didn't expect you to be like this. When I had first heard about you I had no clue what to expect. I'm just glad you haven't killed me yet." Ophis laughs quietly. "Somedays I wake up and wonder what it would be like if I wasn't the Red Dragon Emperor, if I was just a normal person like I was before all of this. Being the host of a legendary dragon like Ddraig can be tough, and doing some of the things I've done for the people around me can weigh on me. Do you know why I keep going though?" She shakes her head. "I keep going because it's nice to have people depending on me. Before all of this the only person I had was myself. Nobody wanted or needed anything from me, I was just someone that nobody understood. It's nice having people around me who can count on me, and it's satisfying to be able to do the things they need from me. Whether I need to be the sword or shield of the Gremory family I'll do it without any complaints. I don't want to worry about where I would be without it. No task is too difficult, and no price is too high for my family."

"That's really nice Y/N, but I'm not the one you should be telling that. If you truly feel that way then let them know. As much as I would love to continue this conversation I know that's not why you came up here." The two of us begin training, focusing on my Rook promotion instead of the Knight.

A Few Hours Later

After training with Ophis for a bit I sneak back down into my room to see if I can get any sleep before it's time to go for the day, but I'm not expecting much. When I open the door I see Irina and Xenovia still laying there, though it seems like they may have been tossing and turning as they're rolled over on top of each other. I push them apart and squeeze in between them and close my eyes for a bit, though it seems like I'm not going to have any luck. Ever since getting back from the Dimensional Gap it seems like there's been a curse placed on my body, and I've been struggling to sleep since then. Rias and Akeno have helped me with their magic, but nobody else seems to know what they do. I hope they've been okay while we've been gone. I'm looking forward to getting off of the train back from Kyoto and seeing everyone waiting there for us. As I look at the time it seems like it's about 5 AM, not much time to sleep anyway. I decide to just lay there and look at the ceiling, thinking about everything going on from Ophis to the Youkai.