Save Your Breath

Now that training is over Tannin is taking me back to the Gremory mansion. The three weeks were rigorous but I'm glad that I got the training. Even in the time when I was mainly using my Balance Breaker my body still feels stronger. Ultimately I'm just glad to see Rias and everybody after so long.

"I look forward to seeing you again Y/N," Tannin calls. "Keep getting stronger and maybe someday you will be able to compete with me."

"Damn right I will." Tannin flies away and I look back to the front of the Gremory mansion where Rias' mother is waiting for me. "Nice to see you Miss Venelana."

"Hello Y/N. Everybody else has returned and were waiting for you." The two of us make our way inside and towards where everyone's rooms are. "You seem like you've gotten much stronger."

"I'd hope so. Tannin is a tough teacher but the training was worth it." I neglect to bring up that guy coming by about halfway through, mainly because I didn't even get his name.

"I'm glad to hear that. My daughter has been waiting to see you since the day started. She loves you deeply from what I can tell."

"Sounds like Rias. Before I became a devil her and I had never spoken to each other, not even in passing. Times have changed and quickly." I see Rias down at the end of the hallway and try to see if I can sneak up on her. As I get closer I grab her shoulders, causing her to squeal a little bit.

"Dammit Y/N," she yells at me.

"I'm sorry Rias, hahaha, but you were wide open." Her arms surround me and she leans against my chest.

"Your training appears to have paid off," she notes as her hands start running across my body. "You should probably get ready for the gathering. We will all be acting as security."

"Some party," I grumble. Once changed I go to Koneko's room. I give it a knock but she doesn't answer. "Koneko, it's Y/N."

"Come in," she says quietly. When I enter she's on her bed looking down, seemingly upset about something.

"You okay?" She shakes her head and I sit down next to her, putting my arms around her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's just my power," she says. "I'm not sure if anybody told you but during training I pushed myself too hard and fainted." Poor girl. "You all have gotten so strong, and I can't help the thought that I'm the weakest. I don't want to use my Nekomata power." She starts sobbing. "I don't want to be like her."

"You wouldn't do that Koneko. No matter how strong you get you always remember the people around you. Take me for example, when I joined I was the weakest link. It's debatable that I'm the strongest, and I've used that power to allow me to protect you all. It may be scary, but I know if any of us can control a power like that it's you Koneko. You would never sink to her level, I know it." I feel awful for her, but at the same time I'm not sure how to actually comfort her. "I'll stay with you until we need to leave if you want."

"Thank you Y/N." Most of our time is spent silently, but I refuse to let go of Koneko. "Y/N, do you miss your dad still?"

"Everyday of my life," I tell her. "But I know when I think about it that he is proud of me. I have a family and I care about people again, something that before all of you I didn't have for years. As fucked up as it may sound, it was for the better that he is gone. If he wasn't I probably wouldn't be as strong as I have become, and even darker I might not even care about you all." Rias comes in and sees us sitting together.

"It's time to go you two." I look down at Koneko and wipe away any tears that are left. We meet with the rest of the team and prepare to leave. Ravel won't be with us until the meeting so for now it's just the Gremory family, though I don't see Akeno. As we all join up I talk to Xenovia.