Same Old War

Sometime later 

I stir awake and look at the clock. 5 AM, time for morning training. I try to wrestle myself out of bed but two bodies hold me down, and from my disturbance, they wake up.

"Y/N," Rias whispers, "must you get up so early every day? I know you want to work hard but wouldn't it be nice if we could just stay here with you?"

"She's right," Akeno adds, "you're always leaving us." I shake my head and sit up, much to the chagrin of the two ladies with me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm training with Ravel this morning. I told her I would and I'd rather keep my word to her. This isn't anything new." The two of them sigh and get up, most likely wanting to spectate. They've been helping Ravel with magic but Koneko and I have been doing the hand-to-hand training. The five of us have all worked hard and it's been showing, but let me rewind.

After Ravel arrived the next couple of days were a bit tough for her. Having to transition into being around humans all the time and going to school with us was hard on her, but fortunately, she and Koneko have gotten along decently well. Whether that's for their benefit or Rias and I's I'm not sure, but it isn't important. Ravel and I kind of have a student mentor relationship, and it's been nice to train someone other than myself.

Since the Rating Game, Rias has been even closer with me. It's almost like she wants all the time she can with me to herself. It hasn't been easy but we've had time, and the other night I took her out to eat as a show of my affection. Kind of cliche and lame, but I spent a fair share so it was worth it. Everyone at school has noticed too, and things have changed where now everyone hates me because I "stole the queens". The way I see it I didn't steal anything, I just claimed what was mine.

Akeno and I have been on the same track we were, but it seems like it's a competition for me to them. At night they both stay with me so it isn't a big deal, but sometimes it feels like I'm being pulled apart by them. My relationships with everyone else have been similar as well. I run by Koneko's room to make sure she is up and then head downstairs to train. Once I arrive in the training room Ravel bows to me.

"Good morning master," she says. I smile and bow back, mainly as a joke but it's kind of fun. Koneko comes in and the three of us start training. Once warmed up Ravel and I will usually spar with Koneko giving her pointers as she fights. Currently, Ravel is doing okay with the fighting, but magic seems to be where she is excelling. She could handle herself if anything happened at school, but I'm not sure about one on one with a stray yet.

She jumps at me and moves to hit my chest, but I block with both of my arms. Seeing the opening she swings herself lower and aims for my knee, which makes contact but I'm able to hold firm. I do my best to block trying to find my opening, but Ravel is quick. Once I sense her faltering I bring my fist up and she stumbles backward after the impact, a clean punch to the jaw.

"You're getting better," I commend. "Your hits feel more solid and your movement is more fluid. A couple more weeks of this and you may be able to handle Koneko by yourself." I dash towards her looking to cut off any chance of her recovering but she ducks and hits me in the stomach. I use the force sending me down and put my hands down to balance myself and spring forward towards her. Ravel predicts my attack and grabs my leg and tries to throw me, but I use the leg she failed to grasp and kick her, causing her to lose her grip. The two of us stand tall and face each other to continue. After about an hour the two of us are winded and look over to realize Kiba and Asia have entered. I move toward Ravel and hug her.  "Good work today. You've done well, and you should be proud."

"I couldn't have done it without you Y/N. Your passion is what pushed me to improve. You always tell me not to quit, and I've taken it to heart."

Flashback