Nine- Meliodas's Backstory Pt. 1

"Mel! Look at this!"

I sat in the warm sand, my feet in the cool water. The stones in the creek felt slimy against my toes, but it didn't bother me. It never did.

I turned my head to see Zeldris running towards me, a crawdad in hand.

"Brother, brother! I found a lobster!" He cried out, showing it to me in his outstretched hands. I nodded, my toothy smile showing. I had lost my two front teeth last night. Unfortunately, Dad threw out the teeth and said I was getting to old for the whole concept of the 'tooth fairy'. Doesn't mean that stopped me from believing in her.

"That's not quiet right, Zeldris. However, you did catch something more rare. It's called a crawdad. I read about it in the books father keeps in his office." Zeldris, being the five year old he is, began asking all these questions. I giggled, taking the small creature from his rough hands.

"Lookie here Zelly, see how their body is shaped to be more round and less enlongcated? That means it's a she!" I explained, pointing here and there. Zeldris gawked at me with a twinkle in his eye.

I handed the little lady back to him and told him to let it go free.

"But why? I wanna keep it like a pet and take care of her!"

"Cause Zelly, if you bring her in the house father will be mad. And, she has to live her life out. She's still a young little thing. Go on, put her back where you caught her from"

Zeldris followed as I said, running back down the creek and bending down where he had been 'fishing'. I closed my eyes, basking in the warm sun.

My scenery suddenly changed to me walking down the stairs, Zeldris by my side. This time he was older, ten to be more precise. I was 12, going on thirteen. My two front teeth were back, my lisp gone now. We were chatting about our last lesson, books in hand.

"You know step-brother, Estarossa, right?" I nodded at the silly question. It's been five years since mother left Father for a new man and Father was sent to jail. We were now living with the Andrews. Not going to lie, they were a wealthy family.

"Yes, why do you ask?" Zeldris seemed to be thinking about what to say next. He stopped and turned towards me, shifting the weight of his book onto his small hip.

"Well, he wants to take me out to the forest later today. Said that there is a huge treehouse in the middle of the trees and he wants to show me around. I wanted to ask if you wanted to come." He remarked, tilting his head. His black swept back hair bobbed, the sun shining through the tiny strands.

"Although it does sound interesting, I'm not going. I've explored every ounce of the forest that surrounds the house, there's not a single tree house out there." Zeldris huffed, turning back and starting down the staircase again.

"What if it's something new, like a new set of land step-father bought. It can't hurt to go, right?" I nodded, reaching the landing.

"If you want to go, go. I'll cover for you two. Have fun!" I waved, walking towards mother's room. She needed me for something a few minutes ago. I hope she doesn't mind that I'm late.