Forty-One

~Month Six~

I placed the woman's items in her bag, handing it to her.

"Have a nice day ma'am!" I said, waving as she walked out of the shop. I sighed, dusting off my hands. It was dusk outside, close to twilight or something. I walked to the back, switching off the light.

It's been about two moths or so, it's December now. Pretty close to Christmas too. Meliodas has been really happy recently, claiming that Elizabeth's bump was getting bigger by the week. I disagreed when she showed up at the store on the 16th, telling him that it wasn't that big. It was probably only growing bit by bit. Now it's the 20th.

Though, it is cute. Gelda still teased me about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the older one, and Meliodas is the little brother. I guess that is just how we've always been.

I slipped off my apron, hanging it on the coatrack. I grabbed my coat, slipping it on. The store keys jingled as I picked them up, opening the door and stepping outside. I closed the door behind me, locking it.

I don't know why, but it felt like there were eyes on the back of my head. Either I am being paranoid about Estarossa, or it's because it's dark outside.

I shook off the feeling, walking away from the shop. The streets were empty, no one was out. They were probably all sleeping with their families. I wonder if Meliodas is asleep. I wonder a lot of things. I mean, how could I not? I haven't seen him since I was ten. He probably does the same.

I shoved my hands in my pockets. I'm almost home, it won't be long. Even thought the sun has already set and the only light provided it a dim street lamp, I'll be fine.

I stopped, hearing footsteps behind me. My heart began racing as I slowly turned around, looking over my shoulder. My heart stopped at who it was.

"Step.." I muttered in fear. He laughed like a maniac, stepping forward.

"Nice to see you Zeldoris. Sorry for the short notice but, I have to cut your ride home short." He said, my vision blurry. No, I have to get home, I can't let him catch me.

I turned back around and ran, tripping over my own feet. I heard another laugh as I tried to stand up, panicked.

"I like a little game of mouse and cat!" He exclaimed, chasing after me. I got up, running as fast as I could. I could barely see where I was going, but I was going somewhere. But what if he catches you, Zeldris? Is he going to push you out of a treehouse again? Is he going to beat you to death and make sure he finishes the job?

I can't think about that now, I just can't. I need to get home, just get home.

I tripped again, my head hitting the cobblestone road. I have to get up, but I feel so weak. My head hurts and there's something wet seeping out of my forehead. I just want to stay and lay down. I don't want to run anymore, I can't.

I pushed myself up, getting up on my feet and running. No Zeldris, he can't catch us!

I looked around, spotting an alleyway. Maybe if I change direction and run down there. No, there's no way.

I looked over my shoulder. He was getting closer and closer, almost enough to reach out and grab the back of my coat. I have no other choice.

I quickly flipped to my right, dashing into the dark alleyway. I kept running, taking random turns until I hit a dead end. My breathing was heavy, my lungs aching. My throat was cold and burning, my head throbbing. I reached my hand up to my forehead, bringing it down. Even though my vision was blurry, I could make out the red liquid on my hand as blood. I coughed, leaning against a wall. I heard running footsteps approaching, but I couldn't move.

He came around the corner walking, his hands casually by his sides. He started chuckling, that chuckle turning into a maniacs cackle. I winced as he walked closer, pulling a bag out from his pocket.

"Mhmhmhm, I hope you can forgive me for this. I'd really hate to do this." He said in a pouty voice. I huffed, standing up straight and glaring at him.

"What...are..you..going to...do with..that?" I gasped. He cackled, looking down at me.

"Don't worry about that, you bitch." He raised his hand, clenching it into a fist and bringing it down.

I fell to the ground, my ears ringing. He bent down, lifting my head up by my hair. My eyes were watering, my heart aching.

"Awe, don't look at your older brother like that." I felt the tears falling from my eyes. I gritted my teeth, letting out a shaky breath.

"Your not my older brother! And you'll never be!" I spat. He sighed, looking off to the side.

"Well, looks like we are going to do this the hard way." He said, smashing my head against the concrete. The last thing I saw was Estarossa's stupid face...
~~~

I sighed, leaning against the window sill. Meliodas was standing beside me, chuckling. Quinn and Miguel were placing ornaments on a Christmas tree. The fireplace in the living room had a warm fire burning bright.

Meliodas placed his hand on my waist, pulling me towards him. I smiled, laying my head on his shoulder. Small snowflakes were falling from the sky, landing softly on the grass and roofs below. I placed my hands on my stomach, rubbing the bump.

Meliodas sighed, looking over his shoulder.

"Mama, we're going to head to bed." He said, causing me to turn towards the hallway. Quinn nodded as we walked to our room, hand in hand.

I stepped into our room, walking towards the bed and laying down. Meliodas walked to the wardrobe, slipping off his shirt and pants. I watched silently as he walked towards his side of the bed, laying down beside me. I scooted closer to him, nuzzling into his side. He kissed my forehead, placing a hand on my stomach. He began tracing stars all over, earning a giggle from me.

"Goodnight Elizabeth, Theo." He whispered. I giggled again, placing my hand on his.

"The baby can't hear you yet silly." Meliodas shrugged, kissing my cheek.

"I know. But it was worth a shot." He said, closing his eyes. I smiled, enjoying the warm embrace of my lover..