Thirty-Eight

She wasn't lying. Zaneri kept coming to the shop, buying little things here and there. You know the saying, 'little things go long ways'? Maybe I'm using it wrong, but that probably a definition of what she is doing. I asked Zeldris to let me have a peek at her bills, from all of her 'shopping' here. So far she has spent almost $100. Talk about obsessed.

Usually when she comes into the shop Zeldris is working, so he handles her while I keep working in the back. But when Zeldris is off, I have to be the one to deal with the lady. She flirts with me, gets all touchy and shit. That's when I walk back to my work area until she checks out.

I sat at the wooden table, eating a piece of Elizabeth's cake she made this morning. Zeldris sat next to me, drinking a bottle of water. We were recently talking about Anne and Theo, even though Theo isn't even here yet.

"..I guess we'll know when the baby is born." I said, setting my fork down. I looked up at Zeldris. He was pale, dark circles under his eyes. I leaned back, yawning and placing my hands behind my head.

"What's up with you? You've seemed tired the past two months. Is Gelda pregnant or something!" I laughed, Zeldris shaking his head.

"No it's...you never told me that Estarossa survived the house fire Meli."

~~~

"Come on Meliodas, we don't have much time!" Mother exclaimed quietly, pulling my hand. I followed close behind, trying my best to keep quiet. If we were caught, we're dead.

"Mother, what about Alexander?!" I panicked, stopping. Mother whipped around, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"Meliodas, there's just no time! We have to get out of here before he-!" She stopped, her eyes widening with fear. I watched as she turned around, the lantern in her hand swinging.

"What is going on here Lena-?" I gasped, stepping back. Step-Father was looking from me to mother, his face contorting into an angry glare.

"What is that bastard doing in my house?! Were you going behind my back you bitch?!" He yelled, Mother snapping back.

"I don't care he is my son! You can't banish Meliodas unless you banish me!" She yelled. Step-Father raised his hand, striking Mother across the face. I was paralyzed, not knowing what to do. I just sat and watched as the lantern fell to the floor, the oil spilling onto the expensive maroon carpet, catching fire. Mother grabbed me by the arm, running.

"Meliodas we have to leave! Now!" She commanded, dashing down the hallway. As Step-Father was worrying about the fire, we ran outside where several maids were. I pulled away from my mother, looking for Alexander.

"Alex! Alex!" I screamed, my voice cracking due to my puberty phase. My eyes stung from the smoke as I walked closer to the house, it being engulfed in flames. Who knew that in such a short time it could end up like this.

None of the maids had him, which means he's still in mother's room. I felt my bottom lip quiver as I ran back to mother, tugging at her arm.

"We have to go back Mother! We have to get Alex!" I exclaimed, tears falling from my eyes. Mother nodded, a grim expression clouding her eyes. She began walking back to the house leaving me behind. I called after her, but she ignored me. I watched helplessly as she disappeared into the flames.

I waited. She has to come back, she's the last person I have. I've lost Zeldris, I lost my father. I lost my home, the places I called home. I've lost everything, except for Mother. Mother is the only person who hasn't left or died.

I heard a loud scream before the roof of the house came crashing down. The door was thrown out, starting a small bonfire in the yard. I stared in shock, shifting my weight from one foot to the next. No, no she can't..