Eleven- Meliodas's Backstory Pt. 3

My heart stopped at the crude sight. Estarossa dropped the object he was holding and ran. I dropped the lantern, picking up the pipe and running after him. My whole body was surging with nothing but anger.

Why, why, why, why, WHY?!?

"Don't think for a second I'm letting you get away with this!!" I screamed, following after him. He ran down the path. A smart, but idiotic move. I caught up with Estarossa quickly, hitting him across the head. He fell to the ground, blacking out. I tried to control my breathing, my aching lungs about to give way. I dropped to pipe, letting my hand tiredly hang at my side. The lantern was still on by Zeldris, illuminating his facial features. I hobbled over to him, falling on my knees and picking up the lantern. I set it upright, the flame growing brighter.

"Zeldris..?" I muttered, examining his body. He took several blows to the arms and torso. By the look of it, some of his bones were broken and fractured. One of his legs were twisted the wrong way, as if he'd fallen out of a tree. His head was covered in blood, but his body was still warm. He was still alive. I grabbed him, pulling him up into my lap.

"Zelly! C'mon, wake up! I know you're still alive!" I cried, wiping blood from his eye. His frail eyelids opened, bloodshot eyes meeting mine. "Zelly..what happened..?"

He just smiled, coughing.

"I don't think you would like all the details, but Estarossa he..he...pushed me out of that tree house, or I guess-..what used to be one..heh, I never saw it coming Mel..he really caught me by surprise.." Tears rolled down my face as I held him close, his face going paler by the second.

"Yeah Zel, he did.." I winced, him coughing again.

"Hey Mel..did I ever tell you how much I love you..?" Zeldris asked, causing me to nod and brush some hair out of his face.

"...well...I don't think I...said it...very...often....." I nodded again, feeling his body weight increase. I panicked a bit. Is he..?

His body went limp in my arms. It took me a few minutes to realize it, but he was dead. Dead in my arms, right before me.

"...well...I don't think I...said it...very...often...."

The words rang in my ears as his eyes shut, his pained face relaxing. I felt small rain drops falling down and hitting my head, the dirt around me. It began pouring as I stared at the pale, lifeless body of my only brother.

My breath began to quicken, my blood boiling. This has to be a dream. It had to be. Zeldris isn't dead, he's right here. We were just talking this morning.

Him.

I threw my head back, looking up at the sky. It's all his fault. He killed him, he's a....a...a murderer.

I let the rain roll down my face with the tears, every drop driving me insane. It's all his fault. If Zeldris hadn't been so trusting in him..if Estarossa wasn't so self centered, so jealous. It's all Estarossa's fault!

I yelled into the dark clouds above me. The tears never stopped. My voice was aching but I kept yelling. I cursed at the person I once called a 'god'. If he were such a powerful god, why didn't he stop this from happening?

The world is a cruel place.

I learned that at the age of twelve.

In my eyes, that's too young...