Forty-Eight

I sat and waited in a chair, fiddling with my fingers. Gelda was at my side, along with Mama Quinn and Miguel. We had been here for hours, and yet no one has come out to call me into the room. I tried desperately not to think to hard about it, but it was tearing me apart. It's not everyday you find someone you love on the brink of death.

"Uhm..Elizabeth? He's calling for you?" Someone said. I stood up, walking towards the nurse.

"That's me. Where is he?" I asked, the nurse showing me to a hallway.

"Right down here. What are your relations to the patient." She asked, stopping before a door. I thought for a minute before responding.

"I'm his wife." The nurse nodded, jotting something down on a piece of paper. She motioned towards the door, stepping to the side. I walked into the room, staring at the bed.

Meliodas was laying down, his eyes closed. His left hand was on his stomach, his right laying softly beside him. A blanket was pulled up to his waist, a bandage visible. The bandage ran down from his right shoulder to his left side, wrapped tightly and carefully. He was unnaturally pale, but his cheeks were flushed. His fever had gotten worse.

I walked up to the side of the bed, sitting down by his side. I grabbed his hand, bringing it up to my lips and kissing his palm. I interlocked my fingers with his, studying his expression. It seemed so calm but yet painful at the same time.

His eyelids fluttered open, his eyes looking all around the room. He finally locked his eyes on me, his face blank. I smiled slightly, feeling his hand tighten on mine.

"I wish I was..that f-fucking pillow right now.." He said, chuckling. I shook my head, my eyes watering. "Aw, don't cry..I can't wipe your tears.."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, wiping my eyes with my other hand.

"Don't worry about me," I choked. "I mean, look at what condition your in!" Meliodas sighed, closing his eyes.

"I'm sorry for lying to you. I didn't want you-.." I shook my head again, sniffling.

"No, it's not your fault. I'm hurt that you went out and almost got yourself killed, but at least you're still alive." I said, squeezing his hand. Meliodas nodded, tugging at my arm.

"Come here.." He said, pulling me down. My head hit his chest, my shoulder against his torso. He winced, exhaling. He placed his right hand on my stomach, his left hand running through my hair. I listened to his steady heartbeat, bathing in his warmth. I could hear him humming, a familiar tune. Wellerman. His voice strained on every high note, but it was still soothing nonetheless. I closed my eyes, sighing.

"I love you.." I whispered, earning a grunt in reply. "I love you too.."
~~~

"Where is he!?" Diane yelled at the poor receptionist. Meliodas had been the talk of the town ever since Elizabeth found him. Diane freaked out when we told her that he was in the hospital. She's been yelling at this poor lady ever since we got here.

"Meliodas Illying! Is it that hard to find someone's name!?" She shouted. The lady sighed, looking at a clipboard.

"There is no one here by the name of Meliodas Illying. We have a Meliodas Ire." She replied. Diane banged her fist on the counter.

"Then take us to him!" She shouted. The lady nodded, pointing towards a door.

"Room 374." I followed behind Diane and Harlequin as they stormed behind the door. After a while of angry shouts, we made it to the room. I peered inside, spotting Meliodas and Elizabeth in a tangled heap. They were both asleep, snoring soundly.

Diane walked up to the two, reaching out to touch Elizabeth. Harlequin grabbed her wrist, shaking his head.

"Don't do it, it's not worth it anymore." He said, sitting her down in a chair.

"I know.." She muttered. "I know.."
~~~

"What do you mean he's dead?" Thomas yelled, causing me to flinch.

"He's dead. He bled out during the night. Someone stabbed him, most likely the boy." I explained. Thomas paced around the room, shaking his head.

"No no no no no no no! What are we supposed to do now?!" He shouted. I placed a hand on his shoulder, looking into his eyes.

"We can stop chasing our daughter and support her.." I said. Thomas nodded, his eyes glossy.

"He was the only key to holding this business together. He was strong, powerful. He could dominate out workers and shops, but now he's gone. If she had just agreed.." I nodded.

"Mother, Father? Why is there red stains on the carpet?" Veronica walked into the room, holding a bloody piece of fabric in her hands. "And when is Elizabeth coming back? Her room is ready."

I sighed, leaving Thomas's side and walking towards Veronica.

"Dear, I need to tell you something. Elizabeth..she is living somewhere else. She has decided that she wanted to leave the family and start a family with her lover. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner." I explained slowly. Veronica pulled away from me, staring at the ground.

"Where did she go?" She asked bitterly. I pulled a slip of paper out of my dress pocket.

"This is the address. Wait until after Christmas, she's going through a hard time at the moment. A few things may surprise you at first, like her appearance."

"What's wrong with her appearance!?" I shook my head. "You'll see.."

Veronica stormed out of the room crying. She was probably going to tell Margaret. God, I am a terrible mother. I should have told them sooner, no, right when I found out.

I walked back to Thomas, sitting beside him.

"Please, don't hurt anyone else Thomas." I pleaded. He sighed, nodding.

"I promise.."