Thirty-Nine

I held onto Elizabeth's hand, strolling down the street. We just got back from eating out, and now she was taking me someplace else. It was somewhere new, at least that's what she said ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ).

"So why are we walking towards a big field when it's getting dark?" I asked sarcastically. Elizabeth rolled her eye/s, picking up her pace.

"I already told you that I have a surprise for you! Come one we're almost there!" She exclaimed. I nodded, picking up my pace as well. Elizabeth lead me off-road, disappearing from the crowd. The sun's faint light illuminated her dress, the fabric blowing in the wind. My heart was warm, tingling sensations running through all of my limbs. What is that one thing called, that chemical you release when your happy? *Oxytocin, that's it (big brain time Meli, big brain).

I remember learning about that in class with that expensive science tutor. She had explained that oxytocin is a chemical all mammals release when they're happy or contempt. With a loved one, or even cuddling. Is that why I feel the tingling, because of oxytocin? Could be.

"We're here!" I heard her pitched tone exclaim. I looked up from my feet, staring out into the horizon. The view was amazing.

The sunset peaked over the mountains in the distance, almost like a picture. The sky was dark, and the stars were slightly gleaming. Looking down, I saw a little picnic blanket. It was laid out on the grass, looking all nice and neat. I watched as Elizabeth plopped herself down, patting beside herself.

"Sit, sit!" I nodded, sitting next to her. She grabbed my hand, looking up at the stars. I followed her lead, peering up at the shining diamonds. I sighed, feeling relaxed.

"Did you like today?" I asked, Elizabeth nodding.

"It was amazing.." She whispered, the sunlight disappearing. "Who knew the sun could set that fast."

I muttered, earning a giggle. I looked at Elizabeth. She was still staring at the stars. I chuckled, my eyes not leaving her. I couldn't help but stare at the way her skin glowed in the moonlight. The way her eye/s shimmered when she looked at the stars.

"They are my favorite thing to fall asleep to, besides you."

I recalled her words, a smile playing at my lips. Elizabeth peered up at me, clueless. I smiled, tilting my head.

"What's with that dreamy look in your eyes?" She asked.

"I'm looking at the love of my life, why wouldn't I have a 'dreamy' look in my eyes?" I replied mindlessly. Elizabeth's cheeks reddened and she looked off to the side, playing with a strand of her hair. I reached out my hand, grabbing her chin with my thumb and index finger. I tilted her head back towards mine, leaning in. She became more flustered, her eye/s widening slightly.

I stopped smiling, getting lost in her eye. I peered to the place her other eye would be, behind her bangs. I wonder..

I caressed her cheek with my left hand, using my thumb to brush her bangs out of her face. She seemed surprised, but stayed put.

My eyes widened as I stared into both of her eyes. They were just like sapphires, glowing in the starlight. It was like I uncovered a missing piece of her. They were shining just like the stars, but brighter. I liked the way they looked so innocent, but deep down I know that they weren't.

Elizabeth pulled away, turning her head away from me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, pulling away. Elizabeth shook her head, rubbing her forearm. I placed my hand on her back, scooting closer to her.

"I'm sorry, did I do something wrong? I won't do it again!" I said, flustered. Elizabeth shook her head.

"No no no, it's not that. It's just that I've never really had someone brush my bangs out of my face. I had tried to see if mother would care, or maybe father but they never noticed." I nodded, peering over her shoulder.

"But I noticed Elizabeth." I said, Elizabeth looking at me. This time I saw two eyes instead of one. She had a warm smile one, but her eyes were sad.

"Thank you."

I smiled back, leaning in and kissing her lips. She kissed me back, her bangs tickling my nose. I ran my hands to her waist, pulling her closer. Elizabeth placed her hands on my chest, deepening the kiss. We pulled away a few seconds later, staring into each others eyes.

"I like it better when I can see your whole face." I whispered, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear. "I love you.."

Elizabeth smiled, her cheeks tinged red and her eyes shimmering brightly.

"I love you too.."
~~~

*Oxytocin is a hormone and a neurotransmitter that is involved with empathy, trust, sexual activity, and relationship-building.