Forty-Two

I woke up to Elizabeth shaking me awake. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and yawning.

"What's wrong princess?" I asked tiredly, earning a tug at the arm.

"Look, the snow!" I nodded, peering towards the window. Looking outside, there was white covering everything. I got up and out of bed, following her to the window and slipping pants on.

"I've never really seen snow before, can you believe it?" Elizabeth exclaimed, smiling. I smiled along with her, leaning down and kissing her sweet lips. I pulled away shortly after, caressing her cheek with my left hand.

"I wish I could stay and play but I have to head to work. I love you." I said, tilting my head. Elizabeth nodded, a saddened expression clouding her face.

"Be careful, it might be icy out there." I nodded, opening the wardrobe door and pulling out a new shirt. I slipped it over my head, pulling on socks after. Elizabeth walked out into the living room with me as I grabbed my boots, slipping them on. Mama Quinn and Miguel were still asleep, which is what typically happens.

Elizabeth stepped into the kitchen, pulling out some ingredients. I pulled on my coat and scarf, mittens and hat. I stepped outside, blowing Elizabeth a kiss. She smiled sweetly, waving. I waved back, stepping into the snow.

It was around roughly four, maybe five inches. Most I've ever seen in my time. It was nice and fluffy, but it was that type of snow you can make snowballs with. Zeldris is gonna have a lot of fun this Christmas when I teach Anne how to make the best snowballs.

I trudged down the hill, slipping on some ice underneath the snow. I fell on my behind, shocked a bit. After a while, I started laughing. Elizabeth told me to be careful and I ended up slipping on ice. What a twist of events.

I can't tell you how many times I've caught Elizabeth from falling. Either it's because she has to carry extra weight everyday or because she's simply clumsy. I bet that even right now she's cleaning up something accidentally knocked over.

I sighed, standing up and continued my trip downhill. By the time I reached the road, people were already outside shoveling away the snow so that the towns people would have an easier trip from their home to the market.

I walked down the road until I reached the shop, pushing open the door. I stepped inside, hanging my coat on the coatrack.

"Zeldris, are you finally here? I was worried sick boy!" I heard Mr. Willburry's voice call out.

"No old man, it's just me, Meliodas." I called back, walking towards my desk. Mr. Willburry pokes his head out of his office door, looking at the door.

"Where's your brother? He was supposed to come in early to open the shop but he wasn't here when I got here. The shop wasn't open either, I had to come in through the back." He explained, a worried look on his face. "If he doesn't come in soon, you're gonna have to work his shift."

I nodded, worried a bit.

"Maybe he slept in late or something. Let's just wait and see old man." I replied, returning to my work. Mr. Willburry returned to his office, doing whatever he does. I picked up the small broach that I had left from yesterday. The man that came in and dropped it odd had said that the pin was missing and one of the tiny gems had fallen out. I spent yesterday finding what I needed and now I just have to fix the damned thing.

I sighed, picking up some tweezers and the small gem. I held the broach carefully in my hands and placed the gem where it was supposed to be, making sure that it was in place and stayed. Then, I grabbed some super glue and arrayed the pin on the back. I set the broach to the side, picking up a chipped glass cup. I was about to fix it when the shops bell rang.

I stood up, walking to the counter.

"Oh, hey Gelda, Anne. What's the matter?" I greeted, tilting my head.

"Have you seen Zeldris? He was supposed to come late last night so I stayed up to wait for him, but he never came home. Did by chance he stay at your house, though it doesn't make that much sense since our house is closer." She explained, her eyebrows stitched with worry. I shook my head, furrowing my eyebrows and looking to the side.

"That's weird, Mr. Willburry said he was supposed to open shop. When he got here, Zeldris wasn't anywhere.." I mumbled, thinking for a bit. After a while, something clicked in my mind. What if..

"Shit!" I exclaimed, quickly covering my mouth.

"Shit!" Anne happily repeated.

"No no Anne! Don't say that, it's a bad word!" I said, waving my hands frantically. Gelda tapped Anne's nose, scolding her.

"I'm really sorry about that." I apologized wearily, placing my hands on the counter. Gelda shook her head, smiling slightly.

"No worries, it's not like it's a big deal. Anyway, what's wrong?" I tapped my foot, thinking some more.

"Did Zeldris ever tell you about our step-brother?" I asked, earning a nod. "He's in town, he was supposed to marry Elizabeth and he's been tormenting me..what about that one day when he had dark circles under his eyes? No, he told you about that Meliodas..what else....Thats it!"

I rushed to Mr. Willburry's office, knocking on the door. He looked up at me, tilting his head.

"We keep addresses from people who have shopped here, right?" I asked. He nodded, walking over to one of his filing cabinets.

"What are you looking for boy?" I stepped inside the small room, trying to remember the bastards last name.

"Estarossa...Estarossa...Estarossa Illying (illie-ing)!" I exclaimed, my heart pounding. Mr. Willburry opened one of his drawers, sifting through it before pulling out a sheet of paper.

"Here you go, Mr. Illying." I nodded, taking the sheet of paper from him. I peered down at the paper, reading the cursive writing.

Estarossa Illying
Paper....................0.80

Checking...............Charles St. 16399

I let out a small 'hmph'. I handed the paper back to Mr. Willburry, nodding. I walked out of the office and back to Gelda.

"I'll get it taken care of." I said, my heart practically beating out of my chest. Gelda nodded, her eyes filled with worry.

"Thank you." She thanked, leaving the shop. My mind was racing as I walked to my desk, sitting down. What am I supposed to think now? The pieces aren't hard to fit together. Estarossa...What is he gonna do to my little brother? He can't leave me again, I can't feel that pain.

I hadn't realized it, but I had began to cry. I wiped my tears, but they kept coming. I just couldn't stop. Is this who I really am? Just a weak little boy who cries? I can't protect the people I care about can I? What about Elizabeth and Theo? Mama Quinn and Miguel? The only family I truly had is getting hurt all because of me.

What am I going to do?