Fourteen| Sword Play

•••••••

•••••••

Your first task as a royal guard, surprisingly wasn't to go through some odd inauguration where you swore on your soul never to betray the prince. Though, you assumed that would come later on, since Izana still hadn't announced your position to the other guards. Instead, he asked a very perculiar question.

"Are you well versed in sword fighting?" Izana asked bright and early while the two of you were having breakfast in his office. You served him tea, then poured your own cup, amidst the gesture you looked up towards him with an expression that could only be described of a lost puppy.

The prince almost snickered, while you set down the tea pot and took a seat across from him. "No, I've never needed to use one," you said, taking your own tea and placing it on your lap. "Don't tell me I have to learn" you exhaled loudly already knowing that's exactly what was going to happen.

The prince nodded, "it's mandatory for all guards of Clarines to be at least proficient in sword fighting." He informed, stirring his tea before placing the silver spoon down in the plate. "There are already a few people reluctant to your appointment as my royal guard. You'd be giving them a reason to complain if you stated that you didn't know how to use a sword."

With a heavy sigh you returned the cup back on the table. The two of you sat at a lounge area in his office. Apparently Izana was only going to two places during his time in self implemented house arrest. That was his bed chambers, and here, which meant that's where you'd be going too. "Alright, so teach me," you turned towards him.

"There are masters of sword fighting in this very castle," he said. "Though, I would prefer to be the one to teach you. But you won't be able to properly assume your position until I deem your progress worthy of my standards."

"You seem like you have high standards."

"Trust me I do." He offered a small smile, "after all, should anything happen you'll be the one I lean on right away." You stared at him, at how the sun shone through strands of his blonde hair that for today and today alone had been tied in a loose ponytail on the back of his head. With small strands escaping and bordering his face, brushing softly against his jaw. His eyes seemed brighter than normal, though the same charming cockiness was apparent in his jellyfish blue eyes. He seemed happier, a look that fit him perfectly.

Although you've never seen Izana using a sword, you recalled Zen's fighting style and how efficient and fluid he was with his movements. He used his sword but never the real blade, just the covering and managed to make easy work of that man. You assumed the same can be expected for Izana who rarely walks around without that sword on his hip. Even now, as the two of you sipped tea in a room drowned in warm, sunlight he had one right at his hip. With Clarines' royal symbol right there, gold gleaming on blue.