Thirty Nine | Tactful attack.

Unedited •••••

Unedited
•••••

"Prince Izana! Welcome back!"

You flashed one of your kind, plastic smiles, as you left the carriage before Izana and instead greeted Lord Haruka before him.

"Lord Haruka." You said, stepping down from the carriage and watching as his smile dropped almost comically fast.

"Oh... Zinnia."

"Aw, don't sound so excited, I might think you like me," you stepped aside, allowing Izana to follow after you with a broad smile of his own. "Would you like to ask about my trip? I missed you dearly Lord Haruka."

He didn't bother suppressing his eye roll, and Izana didn't bother hiding his amusement. "As I was saying— Welcome back, your highness."

"Thank you, Lord Haruka," Izana calmly said.

"Do I get a welcome back?" You asked, well aware you were being very annoying.

Haruka let out a strangled sigh, "shall we proceed to your office for a debriefing?"

"Sure," Izana turned to you, "shall we?" You smiled nodding for him to go ahead first. He did so, and you trailed, waving hi to the other guards who you vaguely recalled their faces.

"Have you been enjoying your week off, Zinnia?" Lord Haruka asked, finally addressing you. With Izana only a few paces ahead, he fell beside you in your trail to his office.

"My week off? Has his majesty not told you about the mission I was sent to—" you placed a hand over your lips as if you'd just accidentally blurted out some sensitive information. Haruka's eyes narrowed perceptively and you sent him an innocent smile, "I suppose I over estimated your importance in the castle, I shouldn't have said anything."

"Is there something you were investigating?" He asked, lowering his tone so it could be just between you two though you could tell Izana was grinning, going along with your torment of Haruka.

You leaned closer to him, and he followed, eager to hear more. "I was told it was something strictly between the higher ups— If you haven't been told about it then I suppose you're not as important as I thought. Please, forget I ever said anything." With that you straightened and walked ahead of him, falling in step with Izana.

Your prince sent you a secretive smile and you returned it, knowing good and well Haruka must be seething at the moment.