i. This Is Berk

━━ chapter onethis is berk

━━ chapter one
this is berk

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━There are many beginnings to a story. Hiccup could start this story from the very beginning of gods and goddesses and Viking warriors, but even then, there was a beginning to that beginning, too. He could start from the day he was born and survived the cold winters night only to turn into the lanky Viking he was now. He could start from the day his mother was killed. He could start from the day his father realised he wouldn't be the son he always wanted. He could start from the day Valkyrie the Vicious was born, but that was a whole other story in itself. There is never one beginning, but many. So, no, Hiccup won't start from the beginning, instead, he'll start from the part most relevant to the story he's trying to tell.

And so, let him describe his home:

He welcomes you to Berk. To find it, one would perhaps search twelve days north of Hopeless, or maybe a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. But, one could be sure, it is located solidly on the Meridian of Misery. An island quite mountainous and rocky, with arms and fingers of cliffs protruding out of the cool water like hands grasping up to the cloudy sky. The village that resides at the mouth of the island━his village━could be summed up in one, single word: sturdy. It has been around for seven generations, though some argue more (though Hiccup will argue that it's true, considering he has seen all the portraits of the chiefs gone and past). But the most interesting part is that though seven generations have passed on the mountain (and perhaps quite many more generations of flocks of sheep) every single building was new. Weird, right? Well, he hasn't finished, you'll soon figure out why.

Berk is a close village where everyone knew everyone. Everyone knew the wild stories of how Gobber lost his foot and hand, or how Astrid Hofferson once pushed Snotlout off the fishing docks when they were thirteen. Hiccup could say it was true, not because he was there, because he wasn't, but because it was Astrid, and everyone knew of Astrid's anger issues.

Some would describe it as a haven; beautiful, bounteous of food and stock, freshwater streams, resources for constantly new buildings. They had fishing, hunting and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problem he was yet to discuss that might just change your mind, are the pests.

Now, when he says pests, what would you think of? You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. But no, no, no, Berk isn't like that. Here, on Berk, they had━

Dragons.

Most people would leave because that was the logical thing to do. But not them. They're Vikings ... they have━uh━stubbornness issues ...

And the day━or rather, early morning━that everything quite literally changes for Berk started with Hiccup (crazy, right?) believing it was a great idea to sneak out again into the morning battlefield.