iii. A Dragon's Loyalty

━━ chapter threea dragon's loyalty

━━ chapter three
a dragon's loyalty

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    ━━In Berk, it snowed nine months of the year and hailed the other three. But the coldest seemed to be at the end of the year, where the snowstorms and freezes terrorised the beautiful landscape with a harsh contrast. But they were Vikings, and Vikings will not let the harsh winter take away their pride. They had ... stubbornness issues.

    (And in Valkyrie's case, a competitive issue).

    When the mountain slopes were covered in snow, they were the perfect landscape for sled races. Usually, when they were kids, they would take the wheels of the carts and push them down the slope with each other sitting inside to see who'd reach the bottom first. Now that they had dragons, well, of course, Valkyrie would be determined to see whether Zephyr was as fast against the snow as he was in the air━and if he was even faster than Toothless, because Valkyrie wanted that title, for once.

    She shrieked in delight, meeting the chill that stung at her cheeks with a grin on her face. Her winter fleece coat flew in the wind behind her, and Valkyrie steered Zephyr slightly to the left, moving away from a cluster of snow-capped trees. Looking over her shoulder, she sent Hiccup a face of triumph in being in front of him. He narrowed his eyes back playfully, and she laughed. At the nape of his neck, there was a single braid weaved with winter grass, and Valkyrie felt her heart flutter.

    Concentrate! She told herself.

    Ready for mischief, and determined to win, Valkyrie leaned forward and whispered to Zephyr, "Hey, Zeph, let's send some snow their way." Her dragon was perhaps just as competitive as she was, and didn't hesitate to drag his tail along the ground, sending a wave of snow at Hiccup and Toothless.

    His eyes widened and quickly ducked him and Toothless out of the way. "Whoa! Hey, Val!"

    "Oops," Valkyrie called back innocently, "did I do that?"

    Hiccup scoffed at her goodnaturedly. Leaning forward, he and Toothless shot forward. Passing her, Valkyrie gritted her teeth, annoyed. Then━out of nowhere━Toothless's wing flew out, blocking her path. She pulled Zephyr back slightly so they wouldn't crash.

    "Hey!" she complained. She tried to see, looking up and down, but Toothless's wing just followed. "Not fair━AHHH!"

    Valkyrie got a face-full of leaves and snow from a branch that whacked her in the nose. She heard Hiccup laugh at her misery as she wiped the snow from her face. "Oh━so it's gonna be like that, huh?!"

    "I have no idea what you're talking about, Milady!" Hiccup shot over his shoulder.

     He focused on the slope in front, and Valkyrie took her chance. Setting her jaw, she tapped Zephyr on the neck twice, their singal for a quick flame. He answered immediately, shooting a short blast towards a snow mount in Hiccup's way. It exploded and he and Toothless spun to miss it. Valkyrie grinned, gleeful and took the lead again. "HEY!" Hiccup shouted after her.