vi. Hofferson's Bane

━━ chapter sixhofferson's bane

━━ chapter six
hofferson's bane

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    ━━Dreadfall; a time for fear, lights, and every ten years, a Flightmare fight.

    At least, that was what Valkyrie's brothers Mak and Erik always sang on the morning of the spookiest time of the Viking year. Val remembered the last time the lights came and Flightmare followed, and it wasn't something to joke about. The Flightmare was dangerous, and it made even Fearless Fin Hofferson freeze in absolute fright. Valkyrie had to grow up with the lasting effects of it, and she definitely saw it strong today when she walked into the Academy on Zephyr's back. Astrid was rampaging, smashing every target and barrel they had on them.

    Slipping off her saddle, Valkyrie carefully stepped up beside Hiccup, watching her best friend shout and cry with a breath of concern. "How long has she been at it?"

    "All day," he replied in a murmur.

    Val pursed her lips. She knew better than to interrupt Astrid when she was like this, but they were also running out of targets, considering she was destroying each and every one.

    "YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?!" Astrid cried out with fury as she slammed her axe down onto the wood, tugging it out with spinters flying. "THAT'S RIGHT! Who's next?!"

    Hiccup winced at her heaving figure, "I━I'm pretty sure that━yeah, I━I think you got them. All of them."

    She just glared at him.

    Hott looked up from where he was giving Spikemoth some water. He arched a brow, "Yeah, I've been watching her go━she's been killing inanimate objects all day."

    "She's really wound up about the Flightmare," said Valkyrie in a soft voice, not wanting Astrid to hear and get worse.

     "Ha!" Snotlout laughed loudly from where he leant against the wall, very amused. Valkyrie scowled. "Too bad she's wasting her time. When the Flightmare comes, the Hoffersons freeze. Right, Astrid? I mean, you are a━"

    Astrid's axe lodged so harsh into the wall of the Academy beside Snotlout's face, it cracked the stone. Snotlout peeked an eye open and finished: "Hofferson."

    "All right, shut up," Valkyrie was there to defend her friend who looked like she was ready to murder him. Stormfly squawked at her, concerned. She sniffed at her rider, the spikes along her crown jetting back as she grew more worried for Astrid as the day went on. Zephyr sniffed as well at the broken targets and faced Astrid, if not a bit fearful of her as he reared his head back.

    "Okay, okay," Hiccup held up his hands, eyes wide at the tension growing, "let's all take a deep breath. Just because Aurvandil's Fire is coming doesn't mean the Flightmare is, too."