v. Fireworm Island

━━ chapter fivefireworm island

━━ chapter five
fireworm island

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━"Okay, Hott," Valkyrie pulled Zephyr up into a hover beside her brother and Spikemoth. They were taking a moment before training started to get some of their own time in. Valkyrie liked helping her brother out, getting him caught up with the rest of the Riders now that he was a part of their team. It made her feel lighter, and freer after all the restriction's Alvin's war was giving them, as well as the new threat of the Berserker's and the Screaming Death. She just wanted to take a breath of peace.

"The first thing you need to know about Dragon Training, and being a Dragon Rider, is trust between you and your dragon." Hott nodded, listening to her intently. "You and Spikemoth have to work as one, listen to each other. A Deadly Nadder's blind spot is in the centre of their view, which means, when flying, she's going to have to rely on you for steering a lot more. But a Deadly Nadder's smell is also impeccable, so she's going to sense things before you do, and you have to listen to her tells."

Hott bobbed up and down in his saddle. "Like ... like when Erik tried to spill dragon dung in my bed and Spikemoth smelt it and made me sleep in her wings."

Valkyrie tilted her head, "Well, yeah. But I was thinking more the time when she pulled you close to protect you in that thunderstorm a few months ago. She knew the metal was attracting the lightning, and so she did what she thought would protect you the most."

"So," she went on, turning Zephyr around a little, "you and I are going to race through the sea-stack maze before we meet up with the others, and I want Spikemoth to be completely blinded when you do so."

Hott's eyes widened. "W━What?"

Val grinned and handed him the fabric she had gathered before hand. "It'll be fine. Zephyr and I do it for fun all the time. This'll help Spikemoth trust you and rely on her other senses more, and this will also make you more aware of everything around you to be sure you don't fly her into anything. I'll be doing the same for Zephyr, don't worry."

Hott took the fabric, uncertain. "Are you sure?"

"Just wait until I make you blindfolded," Valkyrie's grin grew as she stretched out her own fabric and gently tied it around Zephyr's snout. She's done this plenty of times, so she knew the exact way without tying his jaw shut, or cutting off his breathing, since his eyes were so small and close to his nostrils.

Hott followed her example, tying the fabric around Spikemoth's eyes with a tender, "It's okay, you have to trust me," and securing it behind the crown of spikes around her head. "Okay," he shifted in his saddle, placing a comforting hand on his dragon's neck. "We're ready."

Val smirked, "Good, because I'm not going easy on you━" and like that, she was off with a cheer.

"HEY!"