xiv. Dragon Rider

━━ chapter fourteendragon rider

━━ chapter fourteen
dragon rider

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

━━Hiccup and Toothless soared into the air, and Valkyrie watched with her heart in her throat. They turned back around sharply and dived down to the Queen. She heard the high pitch shriek that belonged to the Night Fury, getting higher and higher until Toothless let out a blast that rattled the entire island. It hit the Queen dragon right at her wings, and Valkyrie realised what Hiccup planned to do.

She just hoped he'd succeed.

The dust that billowed afterwards caused them all to cover their faces. Val's dragon, Zephyr, held a wing up to shield her from the blast, and she had a moment of breathless awe━he had tried to protect her. The moment was short-lived, however, for the humongous Red Death drew her leathery wings.

"Oh, mighty Odin," murmured Valkyrie.

The Queen reared up on her hind legs, towering over the Vikings of Berk with a great and thundering roar. Zephyr whimpered, pulling his head back. Valkyrie was frozen on her feet, perhaps even petrified, to watch the Red Death crouch on her back legs, and with a glacier of wind that almost knocked them all off their feet, she took to the sky after Hiccup and Toothless.

Valkyrie didn't know how a dragon of that size could fly, but she did. With wings as large as those, they held her weight. At each flap, it was like a hurricane washed over them, spraying the Vikings with dust, rock, ash, embers and water. Zephyr kept Valkyrie shielded with his wings, and she wondered how a dragon she had just met, could feel such loyalty towards someone that before last night, wouldn't have hesitated in killing him. It was extraordinary.

Until she saw someone who didn't have a dragon to keep them safe from the debris. Valkyrie gasped, and pushed Zephyr's wing away to cry out, "Dad!"

In seconds, Zephyr had left Valkyrie's side. She stumbled, "Wait━Zeph━no!"

Seeing a Windstriker in action, and not on his back, was like watching a blur in the smoke and ash. Zephyr really was as fast as wind, slicing through and twisting past the debris of falling ash, rock and embers, and even some burning masts from the ships towards her father who was trying to pull a Viking from fallen debris himself.

He didn't have time to shout in alarm before Zephyr extended his claws. He picked up the two Vikings in each claw, and Valkyrie exclaimed in victory. Rising up in the air, her dragon made the trip back and dropped both Vikings gently back on the ground in front of her.

Before her father could figure out his surroundings, Valkyrie rushed forward and threw her arms around him for a hug. She started to cry, "Oh, thank the gods! Thank the gods, you're okay!"

"Valkyrie?" she heard him mutter, and then, he did the last thing she expected. He wrapped his arms around her too, and held her tight against his chest. Valkyrie breathed out a tearful smile, and hid her face into his shoulder. Her father had never shown her this affection, and she had craved it. It had always been more than approval, it had been love. Valkyrie wanted him to love her, and to show it.