xiii. A Tale Of Two Dragons

━━ chapter thirteena tale of two dragons

━━ chapter thirteen
a tale of two dragons

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━Across the hills, cliffs and fields of Berk, a horn sounded. It echoed, waking all the Dragon Riders from their slumbers. They knew that sound; it had been drilled into them by Hiccup far too many times. Today, was yet another drill for the Screaming Death, preparing each and every one of them for when the great white dragon finally attacked, finishing his vengeance.

Valkyrie was determined to be ready. Recently, she has spent her time fearing the Screaming Death; avoiding the truth. It had gotten her into arguments, into trouble, into serious moments of self-evaluation of what really caused for her to falter in her role as a Dragon Rider. But now that she understood━or rather, had little time or choice to not, she was sure to be the most prepared.

She was stationed at the Great Hall, and was heading there right now. The morning sun was only just rising over the ocean horizon, spreading Berk in a gorgeous glow. Valkyrie knew that when the Screaming Death truly attacked, it wouldn't be this tranquil.

Or perhaps she spoke too soon.

"Whoa!" Valkyrie spun Zephyr to the left to avoid the obnoxious sight that was Snotlout and Hookfang. She sighed, gritting her teeth. He cheered, overtaking her in her journey. She urged Zephyr to catch up, pulling up next to him to snap, "Snotlout! What are you doing here?"

He was in the mood to anger her, for sure, since he leaned in and jeered, "I'm sorry, did I scare your girly little dragon?"

She did not have the patience to deal with this right now. Zephyr huffed, giving Snotlout a side-glare. "Get out of my way!" Valkyrie growled. "I have to get to the Great Hall."

"No, you don't," said Snotlout, pointing proudly to himself. "I have to get to the Great Hall. You have to get to the armoury."

"Hiccup assigned me to the Great Hall yesterday. You heard him!"

"Tell you what, whoever gets there first━me━gets to guard it."

Valkyrie gritted her teeth. He knew how to play into her weaknesses; forcing her competitive streak out. She was too prideful to let herself lose this to Snotlout. "Fine!" she snapped and dived Zephyr down but before she could get anywhere, something slimy slammed into her face.

She shrieked, losing control. Zephyr balked in surprise, his tail flying down and ripping into the wood of a nearby wagon. Vikings gasped and jumped out of the way. "SNOTLOUT!" screamed Valkyrie in her anger; she wasn't competiting anymore, she was furious. He threw fish at her and it knocked her flower crown off!

He cackled at her. "Val, I thought you liked cod!" His grin fell away at the glare on her face. "Oh, no━"

Instead of racing, Valkyrie dived Zephyr straight to Snotlout, determined to get back at him. They weaved in and out of houses, shooting to the Great Hall at full speed. No one messes with her flowers! Valkyrie managed to get close enough to shove Hookfang to the side, but the Monstrous Nightmare's claws got stuck in the bottom of her saddle and the lot of them tumbled through the door of the Great Hall.