x. The Dragon Queen

━━ chapter tenthe dragon queen

━━ chapter ten
the dragon queen

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

    ━━Sitting back up, Valkyrie sighed. "So, what now?" she asked Hiccup. His shoulders slumped, as did his head, and she held his waist tighter. It seemed wrong to remind him after such a beautiful ride, but he couldn't ignore it, and neither could Valkyrie. After all of this━everything she had seen, and the sudden chance she felt resonate in her bones ... it not only scared her, but it also made her scared for him. "Hiccup," she said, "your final exam is tomorrow. You know you'll have to kill━" she stopped, and hesitantly glanced at Toothless before leaning in and whispering into Hiccup's ear so he wouldn't hear, "━kill a dragon."

    Hiccup sighed, "Don't remind me," he murmured.

    Suddenly, Toothless changed direction. Swooping down, both Valkyrie and Hiccup yelped. They disappeared into a breath of smog, and Hiccup knew something wasn't right. "Toothless," he muttered to his dragon, "what's happening?"

    His wings flapped aggressively, and he snarled at the empty space on either side of them. Valkyrie gasped, and her amazement was soon gone, replaced by a sudden fear as she held onto Hiccup tighter. "Whoa!" he let out. "What is it?" he asked Toothless.

    There was a roar of a dragon in the fog━one that didn't belong to Toothless. Out of nowhere, appeared a huge, red Monstrous Nightmare. At each flap of its wings, came a burst of air, and Hiccup whispered, "Get down!"

    Valkyrie didn't need to be told twice. She pressed herself against Hiccup's back, hoping the other dragon wouldn't see them. Her gaze fixed on the livestock in it's claws━one of Berk's sheep. Toothless veered to the left, but stopped at the growl of a Deadly Nadder, carrying it's own food in a tight grip.

    The roars grew━more and more, and the fog dispersed enough for Valkyrie to see. So many dragons━more than twenty (no, more than one hundred) flew around them. Monstrous Nightmares, Gronckles, Hideous Zipplebacks, Windstrikers, Deadly Nadders, and other dragons Valkyrie didn't know much about. They were surrounded by them.

    "What's going on?" Valkyrie asked Hiccup, her voice no louder than a petrified whisper.

    "I don't know," he answered, just as quietly. "Toothless," he placed a hand on his brow, "you got to get us out of here, bud━" Toothless snarled, shaking Hiccup's hand away.

    Hiccup frowned at the other dragons, noticing the animals in their claws. "It looks like they're hauling in their kill," he murmured.

    That didn't make Valkyrie feel any better. "Uh ..." she slunk down lower, "... what exactly does that make us?"

    (She wasn't sure whether she wanted an answer).

    Toothless's back arched, and down they went. The other dragons followed, and Valkyrie and Hiccup let out small yell's at the descent. He pulled back up to a straight soar at the water's edge; weaving in and out of sharp rock formations that jutted out of the ground. Valkyrie seemed to feel the air around her grow warmer, and it wasn't from the dragons ... at least, she wished it was, but as they jumped over a cliff formation, she saw it: a island with no sand, but black polished rock, and in the middle of it, stood a gigantic flaming mountian: a volcano.