xiv. Whispers of Death

━━ chapter fourteenwhispers of death

━━ chapter fourteen
whispers of death

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━"Okay, that hole was not there yesterday."

"Oh, wow, Tuff," Snotlout's sarcasm always made Valkyrie want to kick something, "good job! Your one brain cell actually works sometimes!"

Hiccup walked nervously to the edge of the gaping hole at their feet. He peered down through the rock, his hair tousling in the oncoming wind. Valkyrie didn't know what could have caused a hole like this, but something had━a dragon, maybe ... and a big one at that. Astrid crossed her arms, jutting out her hip and glaring into the darkness.

"Any idea what dragon it might be?" Valkyrie asked him softly, not even looking as she reached out for Mak and Erik's fleece vests to stop them from jumping down. She passed them off to Zephyr behind her, who nudged them back the way they came, grumbling.

"What makes you think it's a dragon?" Snotlout looked her way and she gave him a blank stare. He balked, "What? I was just wondering."

All of the sudden, the ring around the hole outside the Great Hall was broken by Toothless, who shoved his way to the front. He growled, baring his teeth down at the darkness. Snarling, he huffed down into it, and Valkyrie backed away, startled by his behaviour. He sniffed, and in catching a scent, he reared up. Roaring and flailing his wings and legs, Gobber and Stoick had to duck. Hiccup gasped and rushed to his dragon, trying to calm him down. "Whoa! Whoa! Hey ... come on, it's just a hole, bud..."

"It's not just a hole!" cried a voice from down below.

Astrid jumped and stared down. All of them were shocked to see Bucket gazing up at them. When did he get there? "It's like an underground village!"

Mulch raced over, hearing the sound of friends voice. Peering down, he sighed, relieved. "Bucket! Oh, there you are! I've been looking for you all night!"

"Sorry, Mulch!" Bucket held a hand to the metal container on his head to keep it on as he looked up. He had a grin on his face. "But I think I finally found it! My happy place!"

There was a low rumble and out of the hole, Bucket came flying forth in a cluster of dirt and rock. He screamed in alarm, landing back down by the water troughs. The rest of them ran towards him. Stoick leaned down to check whether he was okay. Bucket sat back up, dazed and startled, but otherwise fine.

"Are you all right, Bucket?!"

"Not so happy, anymore," he fixed his bucket properly on his head.

"What happened?" asked the chief.

"Something pushed me out," he got to his feet, suddenly very distressed. "Something's down there━something big."