iv. The Gift Of The Night Fury

━━ chapter fourthe gift of the night fury

━━ chapter four
the gift of the night fury

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━Valkyrie has ruined Snoggletog.

She ruined the holidays and now she had to clean up after it.

Zephyr was gone, all the dragons were gone, no one liked her Yaknog and the eggs exploded and now she was stuck fixing every roof in Berk with nothing but nails and a hammer. Someone may as well have somehow made a glowing sign that said YOU RUINED SNOGGLETOG! and shoved it right in Val's face. (Could someone make a glowing sign? Was that possible? A wooden sign with glowing letters?).

She slumped against the wood of Starkard's house, staring up at the evening sky and at the stars that were starting to filter in through the snowy clouds with a sad sigh. All she wanted to do was save Snoggletog, was to make everyone happy. Maybe the gods were just as surprised by her sudden act of kindness as everyone else and decided to ruin it for her. She was sure Loki was having a blast overseeing the entire village explode from dragon eggs.

"This was supposed to be the best Snoggletog ever," Valkyrie wasn't sure whether she was talking to herself, or Zephyr ... wherever he was. "And now look what I've done ..."

"You made a big mistake," the voice startled her so much, she nearly fell from the roof. Looking over, she frowned to see her father, hoisting himself up onto the roof as well with a hammer of his own. Mallory the Dragon bone fixed his helmet.

"I know," Valkyrie murmured.

"I know you know," said her father. He climbed over to cling on next to her. Valkyrie watched him, confused. "But you're a Viking, and so what do Vikings do?"

She was still trying to comprehend how she did not hear him get up here, and when she didn't answer, her father chuckled. He hoisted up his mallet, "We fix it, and move on and don't make that mistake again. And if it's our family, we help them get through it."

Around her, more people started to show up on the roof. Her mother with a tray of nails, Asrifth supporting a small hammer, Hott with a measurement cloth, and Mak and Erik both holding planks of fresh wood. Valkyrie's breath faltered, and she stared at each of them for a moment, before realising, "You're going to help me?"

Asrifth scoffed, "No need to be dramatic, of course we are. What did you think we were going to do?"

Valkyrie found herself grinning, and her spirits lifted. Despite making her mistakes, and perhaps ruining Snoggletog for this holiday, what mattered most was still present around her; and that was the importance of spending it with your family.

It was just a shame Zephyr couldn't be there to celebrate it with her, and nor could their other dragons that had become a part of their large family. But maybe they should celebrate for them, with them still in their hearts, and in their minds, hoping that maybe they will come home; and if they didn't, they'll keep saving a spot for them by the Snoggletog fire.