xii. Sore Winner; Great Loser

━━ chapter twelvesore winner; great loser

━━ chapter twelve
sore winner; great loser

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━"What are you doing?"

Valkyrie frowned at Tuffnut from where she sat on Zephyr's back, happily weaving her Thawfest flowers together. She stopped, setting them on her lap. Zeph matched her glare, and the both of them narrowed their eyes at the younger twin. "I'm making my victory crown, obviously."

Astrid scoffed, stretching her arms and cracking her knuckles in front of Stormfly, "Oh, please, Val━you're going to eat our dust in the competition."

"Or you'll eat ours."

"In your dreams."

With the thawing of the winter snow around Berk, came the annual strength competition━Thawfest. The strength games. The games where every Viking pushed themselves to prove them the better warrior in a series of warrior-like tests. Every year, since she was five years old, Valkyrie has joined others of her age in the competition of their rank to reach victory over one person━and one person in particular.

(That would be Astrid if one hasn't guessed already).

Because for Valkyrie Frode and Astrid Hofferson; Thawfest wasn't about being the best overall, they left that to Snotlout to gloat over (it's complicated━it's them actually being nice friends), but beating the other in a set of cunning manouvers. It is in this competition, especially, that it was every friend for themselves. And considering Valkyrie lost to Astrid in this tiny inner-competition between the two of them, she was ever so determined to win this time round.

"Didn't your mother say that you weren't allowed to compete in Thawfest because of your ribs?" piped up Fishlegs and Valkyrie rolled her eyes.

"Look━" she waved around her arms, "━I can move perfectly fine! She's just over-exaggerating. I'm competing━and I'm beating you, Astrid."

"Fishlegs is right, Val..." murmured Hiccup nervously, knowing the exact reaction he was going to get. Even Toothless purred in an apprehensive tone. "Maybe you should sit this one out."

"I'm fine," she snapped, and Zephyr agreed with a squawk. "I am not sitting this one out. I'm all healed and I'm ready to win!"

"What am I saying?" Hiccup muttered to Toothless under his breath. "Of course, she won't sit this one out, she's Valkyrie!"

They continued to wait for Gobber to meet up with them in the arena, waving flags of orange and green. Valkyrie perked up when he entered, eager to start the competition. The entire group was here, all except for the reigning champion. Glancing to the side at Hiccup, Val knew he was excited for this years Thawfest. Because, since they have all made peace with the dragons, it only made sense that they brought them into their games. This year, Hiccup had a chance to actually not be the worst.