vii. Zero to Hero

━━ chapter sevenzero to hero

━━ chapter seven
zero to hero

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    ━━Ever since Valkyrie could remember, she felt like she needed to prove herself to her name. It was quite intimidating as a young Viking to be named after the warriors of Valhalla; she felt like she was supposed to live up to it, to become it: a warrior so powerful, so graceful, and yet so deadly. A Valkyrie. Her parents didn't say anything, but she could see it━her father wanted her to be the best she could be, and the best for Valkyrie was the very best. She didn't know why, but she just couldn't handle being a step behind someone, even if it was a small step━and by a small step, she meant the step of a runt named Hiccup Haddock the Third.

    Valkyrie was supposed to be the best━to grow to be the best Viking warrior Berk has ever seen; the best dragon warrior. Now, at fifteen, she wasn't sure anymore whether that was something her parents pressured her to do, or whether she pressured it upon herself, but it became sewn into her very being. It was who Valkyrie was. She was quiet, determined, angry, stoic, and very competitive. She trained her arms sore, she memorised anything she could, she was supposed to be the best. And the best shouldn't worry about the likes of the worst. They weren't supposed to be on the same level. She was supposed to be up high, while Hiccup was supposed to be stuck down the bottom. He wasn't supposed to rise up to her height. That wasn't how the world worked.

    She had wanted to prove Astrid wrong, but Hiccup had been the one to prove the blonde right. The same boy she had pushed off the docks when they were little because he annoyed her so much, the same boy who couldn't lift his shield straight, was quickly becoming a threat to Valkyrie's success, and she didn't like it━one bit.

    After the tale of what he had achieved with the Hideous Zippleback, more and more villagers came to watch Dragon Training━for Hiccup. That only made Valkyrie even more furious. Hiccup, who didn't take this seriously. Hiccup, who couldn't fight even if his life depended on it. Hiccup, who couldn't hold a shield or sword or even run straight. He wasn't supposed to be a threat!

    And so, as Dragon Training progressed, a new side to Valkyrie was shown━a more determined, more loud, more aggressive and frustrated side. She was Valkyrie the Vicious for a reason━but never the reason she was showing recently. That anger that had escaped that day in the ring towards Hiccup after the Nadder seemed to just show up everywhere━and it was affecting her performance! Whenever she messed up, she only got more frustrated, which messed her up more. Her strikes and throws were getting sloppy, her tactical decisions were fuelled by a biased determination━and it was all Hiccup's fault! He was making her sloppy, making her bad. He was destroyed her chances of winning this thing and he wasn't even holding his axe the right way on the handle!

    From across the ring, Valkyrie scowled in his direction. Hiccup stood alone by one of the barriers, awkwardly tapping his shield against the ground for it was still too heavy for him. How could someone like him get better at Dragon Training?