xii. How To Train Your Dragon

━━ chapter twelvehow to train your dragon

━━ chapter twelve
how to train your dragon

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

━━"What was that back there?!"

Back home, Valkyrie was on the verge of tears. While her brothers sat at the table, and her mother tried to reason with her father, Valkyrie was desperate in her attempts to explain, to get him to see the truth━to get them all to see. But he wasn't listening to her. "Dad, please," she begged, following him. "You don't understand━you have to listen━"

"Have you gone mad, Valkyrie?!" Her father glared at her, and she shrunk backwards slightly. Her mother frowned.

"Mallory━" she tried, but he cut her off.

"You defend a dragon?" he bellowed, and Valkyrie's bottom lip trembled. "You defend a Night Fury after everything they've done to this village?!"

"Dad," Valkyrie cried. "You have to listen to me━Toothless━the dragon, he wasn't trying to hurt anyone! He was just protecting Hiccup. He's a good dragon━they're all good━"

"I can't believe I'm hearing this," Mallory shook his head at her. "Is this why you failed dragon training? Is this why you lost my mallet?! Because of this weak sympathy for the beasts!"

"No!" she argued back. "No━just━please! They attack us because they have no other choice! They do it to survive, just like we do. They need our livestock otherwise they'll die! Please, dad, everything we know about them is wrong! Hiccup━"

This only angered him more. His face turned red. "You listen to a green boy over the word of your own father?!" he roared, and Valkyrie flinched back. Her mother tensed. "We are Frode's! We are Dragon Slayers━!"

"━Dad━"

"━And this━you disgrace our name by saying this nonsense!" he continued. "You disappoint all of our ancestors, girl! You disappoint me!"

Disappoint.

Valkyrie stumbled like she had been struck by a deadly arrow. Disappoint. Disgrace. For one of the few times in her life, Valkyrie Frode began to cry. Before her father could see, she hid her face and shoved past him. "Valkyrie!" she heard him shout, but she ignored him, bursting out of the door and into the afternoon sun.

Desperate, she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes, but they kept coming. Everything was falling apart, and Valkyrie couldn't even imagine how Hiccup was feeling. She ran far away, so fast until she was sure no one from her family would follow. They all need time to cool off, her father especially. Mallory the Dragonbone ... he was one of the feircest dragon slayers there were, to hear and see his daughter try and protect one? Valkyrie might as well be dishowned from the Frode Clan. She wanted to leave before he got so angry he made that choice.