viii. Dream Come True?

━━ chapter eightdream come true?

━━ chapter eight
dream come true?

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

━━Her father wouldn't want her down at the docks, waiting for him to return from his mission. He would want to seem strong, to seem powerful, and having his only daughter weep and launch herself into his arms, just happy he was alive, would not do them any good as Vikings. But she watched from a distance. Sitting by herself on the cliff walk and looking down at the docks. The wind pushed against her hair, making some of her flowers fall out. She grabbed them before she could lose them forever, holding them close to her chest and gazing down at the damaged boat which docked by the shore.

She searched for him amongst the many wounded Vikings. The ship was lucky to still be intact. The sails were in shreds, there was a gaping hole to the side as if a dragon had bitten straight out from it. The mast itself was snapped in two, hanging loosely on by charred splinters. Valkyrie's breath was held in the back of her throat, eyes darting past each figure to see if there was one she recognised.

When she saw her father, she let out a small whimper of relief and pulled her legs closer to her chest. Valkyrie didn't know how she'll explain to him about Dragon Training, or how she felt like she was failing him, her family and herself. She didn't know how to explain Hiccup━of all people━was winning against her, and she most certainly didn't know how to explain how she might not get to kill the Monstrous Nightmare after all.

Valkyrie can imagine the look upon his face: disappointed, upset. He would hide it, he would say, as long as you did your best, Valkyrie. But she knew. She knew he would be disappointed, and he'll wonder where they had gone wrong. The last thing Valkyrie wanted to do was disappoint her father, and so she told herself: I will win tomorrow. I will win that chance to kill the Monstrous Nightmare. Hiccup won't stop me this time. I won't let him. I will be the best. I am Valkyrie the Vicious. No onenot even Hiccup the Horrendouscan take that away from me.

In the corner of her eye, a pair of leather hide boots appeared. They walked up next to her, before taking a hesitant seat against the cliff and on the wooden walkway. Asrifth sighed, looking out and down below at the docks with a frown on his face. "Is he okay?" he asked Valkyrie.

She pursed her lips, and fiddled with the stems of her flowers, weaving them back into her hair. "He's okay. I saw him. He's not wounded━maybe a burn or two, but nothing serious."

"That's good," said her brother, and the two siblings fell into a very tense silence. Valkyrie finished weaving the flowers back into her hair. Asrifth kicked a twig off down and into the ocean below. He glanced at her briefly and saw the glum expression she held downwards at their father who stepped up onto the docks. He knew exactly what she was thinking about. "He's going to be proud of you no matter what, you know that right?" she didn't say anything. "You know this whole no one's proud of you is just something you've made up in your head that's not actually true?"