v. A Bond From Trust

━━ chapter fivea bond from trust

━━ chapter five
a bond from trust

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━Valkyrie's words stayed with Hiccup for longer than he'd like to admit. Maybe it was because she never lost her temper like that. The only time Hiccup could ever account for something like that happening was when she pushed him off the docks and into the water. (That had been because of him, too━sounds like a reoccurring pattern). He trailed through the woods, a fish in one hand, and his shield (well, a new shield) in the other. Birds whistled, animals rustled the leaves and bushes, and his boots crunched the twigs underfoot. But none was louder than his own thoughts, a flood of guilt because of what she had said. Grow up, pick a side, and be a Viking!

Hiccup had never been a Viking. At least, not the Viking the people wanted him to be. He was a disappointment, a runt of the litter, a nuisance like a pesty bug on the dining table, needed to be crushed under the foot of a much larger creature. Hiccup felt like that bug, and the foot was his dad, or Valkyrie, or just every other Viking in Berk.

And now ... if they knew what he had done━or what he couldn't do━, what would they think of him? Grow up, pick a side, and be a Viking!

He reached the break in the boulders, leading into a small and open dwelling. A small pond sat in the middle, dazzling in the daylight. It was quite tranquil, with a few trees bristling in the cool air, a bird here or there, the sound of the water hitting the shore and drawing back, the wind making the grass bristle ... but it wasn't tranquil. There was a creature hiding amongst the beauty━a beast, they all said. But ... but Hiccup found himself arguing otherwise. He looked into the eyes of that Night Fury he was meant to kill ... and couldn't bring the knife down. He didn't know why ... but just like he chose to not kill the dragon that day, the creature decided not to kill him. They said: a dragon always goes in for the kill, but this one didn't. The most dangerous of all dragons, had left Hiccup alive.

It intruiged him━just as much as the look in the dragon's eyes as he stood over him two days ago. There was something in the beast's eyes he couldn't explain, something that made him feel like he was looking into a mirror of himself.

(Maybe that was why he was so intrigued after all).

Grow up, pick a side, and be a Viking!

Hiccup had no idea what side to pick. That Nadder would have killed him today in the ring, but this Night Fury had given him a second chance at life.

Shuffling closer to the break in the boulders, Hiccup hid behind his shield. With a thud, it scraped across the moss-covered rock, and he couldn't shuffle any further. With a racing heart, his green eyes peered over the iron brim, and couldn't see the dragon anywhere. With his free hand, he held the fish up, trying not to grimace at the slimy touch━or the smell, because there was that, too. As quick as he could, he chucked the fish over the brim, and it landed a few feet away on the grass.