xiii. The Nest Awaits

━━ chapter thirteenthe nest awaits

━━ chapter thirteen
the nest awaits

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

━━Valkyrie always knew a Windstriker was fast, but being on Zephyr's back, was a whole new experience. The wind blew through her hair, the chill froze her cheeks, made her tunic flap; bugs flew into her face, and the sun blared into her eyes.

(Val has never felt more alive).

Zephyr's wings moved like a well-oiled machine at her legs━up and down with so much speed and grace and agility that if she wasn't in such a serious situation, she would have shouted with glee. In front of her, Hiccup guided Zephyr down, and they sky-dived through the rocks. Weaving in and out, they led the group of teenage Vikings to the Dragon Nest, ready to save their family and village from imminent disaster.

The tip of his wing grazed the water as they took a sharp turn, and the mist hit Valkyrie's cheek. Zipping under an archway of rock formations, Zephyr opened up his magnificent wings, and with a pull of the ropes, they soared upwards.

"Okay!" Hiccup shouted over the wind as they neared the island. Valkyrie's thrill disappeared when she saw the absolute destruction. It was chaos on foot. The Queen was out of her nest, and Valkyrie much preferred it when she only saw her head and her neck. Now out in the open, she was much larger than Val could have ever imagined. She stood at least half as tall as the volcano itself, with meaty legs and a club as big as a ship for a tail. She looked impossible to defeat. Viking warriors ran away from her large feet that stomped against the pebbled ground, heading towards the back-end of the island. Valkyrie saw two figures standing their positions, shouting up at the Queen: Stoick and Gobber. The ships on the bay were up in flames, and Valkyrie's hand rested on Hiccup's back. Toothless was amongst there, and they needed to save him.

"We're meant to fight that?" Snotlout cried out at the sight of the Queen, barely holding onto his dragon's back.

Hiccup managed a brief glance back at the others, all on their dragons. "We'll attack from the rear!" he ordered. "That way, she won't see us until last minute!"

"And if she does see us?" asked Astrid, pulling her Deadly Nadder up next to them.

Hiccup shrugged, "Then ... I guess we'll come up with another plan?"

"Oh, I don't like this," whimpered Fishlegs, but they soldiered on, soaring towards the island. Valkyrie felt like she was a true warrior of Valhalla, on her powerful steed, flying into battle with a new weapon on her back: a new mallet; one that didn't have dragon teeth to make it menacing. It was her mallet. Valkyrie's mallet. Not Mallory's mallet for Valkyrie.

Hiccup titled Zephyr to the left, and they swooped around the edge of the island. Valkyrie held on around his waist, gazing around his shoulder at the smoke, flames and chaos━all caused by one, monstrous dragon.