Chapter Four : when do we face the music?

Parker

~ After Effects ~

She plopped next to me, "We were just talking," she muttered.

"No, we were using each other's biggest insecurities against each other," I commented, "which might have just helped me come up with a plan about your problem and mine," I let out a long sigh.

"Are you saying I'm right about you?" she looked at me surprised.

"I can see where you're right at points and I also see where I can let go without going back with this plan," I looked forward, "but if you're not down then I get it and we can go back to being us."

"Just say it Parker," she pushed, getting impatient.

"I help you with the Connor thing by making it seem like there were never feelings there to begin with and it was just a weird drunk night, and you help me keep in check and help me move on from Haylee," I looked at her waiting for some form of reaction.

"Well how do we do that?" she looked at me waiting.

"You set the plan out to make it seem almost effortless for people to get the 'hint' that there's 'something' between us. Since you kissed me in the hallway there's been rumors all day and we can make those rumors true," she didn't let me finish.

"Parker you literally just told me that no one would be attracted to me and now you're trying to ask me out? Did you hit your head?"

"No Paige, I'm not actually asking you out. But what if we faked it, helped each other out and once both of us are satisfied with how it went we break up and go our separate ways?" I watched her first instinct which was a direct no to then question in her eyes.

"So if a problem accrued with Connor you'd drop whatever you were doing to help fix it? Say he came over continually asking for answers, you'd shut him down?" she looked at me in the eyes then.

"Whatever it takes for you to be comfortable then yes, and same goes for you if I'm being stupid and about to go make up with her you stop me," I waited for a response and she sighed.

"Okay wait, what will Malcolm think of this? Do I tell him?"

"I'm sure he'd understand and I feel like the less people that know the better," I shrugged, "if we just stick with a lie and roll with it we won't have to worry about who knows and who doesn't," I wondered if she was actually going to agree to it.

"But Haylee, what are you going to say to her, are you going to break up with her?" Paige looked at me with a million questions probably spilling in her head.

I sighed pulling out my phone knowing it was a dick move to break up through text but also knowing if I did it face to face I'd go back to her because being around her made me fucking stupid.

"Are you about to break up in text?" she grabbed my phone from my hands.

"Yeah, I'm not in the right mind to break up in person at her house," I looked at her surprised by her reflexes.

"Call her and tell her you need to see her here right now, I'll be in your car and trust that you do it, if you don't then that's unfortunate and the deals off. She'll believe it in person versus through text. Worse comes to worse text me and I'll come save your ass," she handed my phone back and got off the ground.

"Wait so you're agreeing to this?" I looked up at her surprised.

"Only if you break up with her, plus Malcolm left with the car so I need a ride home, we should start hanging out a lot more to make it believable after you break up with her and we'll announce us being together in a week or something? I don't know we'll talk more about it in the days to come," she held out her hand and I took it and she tried to pull me up but I did most of lifting myself off the ground.