Chapter Sixteen : she's a ticking time bomb

Parker

I left Paige's house after eating pancakes, it's not that I wanted to. Being around her makes me feel pretty damn important but I knew my feelings were just one sided and I couldn't be falling for her so I needed out of there. I tried to get her to talk to me about last night but she kept pushing it off saying that she didn't want Nora listening in but I also knew that she was scared. I wanted her to trust to come willingly and not forced.

Haylee had texted me while I was asleep and I wasn't sure what the hell to do because it was more than one hey, it was a paragraph of why Paige and I would never work and another paragraph of why Haylee and I make a good couple. She then texted me asking me to come over and I ignored them all which was hard because I wanted to be there but I didn't want to disappoint Paige.

Noah had also called me and I wasn't in the mood for his bullshit of an excuse of getting a rise out of me.

I called Malcolm instead and he answered.

"What's up," he yawned like he had just woken up, it was noon by now.

"I just left, why weren't you home man?" I asked.

"Paige and I got at it and I just couldn't take it, I mean I know it's not her fault but I kinda blamed her."

"Why the hell would you do that?" I asked.

"I wasn't processing what she was telling me and I don't know, I knew she was blaming me, I knew she was mad and she had every right. I wasn't where I should've been and you were.  She made you sound so fucking great that it pissed me off more but yet she also was trying to put the fault on me and I wasn't fucking having it so I told her I'm not gonna just wait for her and she took off and now she won't talk to me, hell she wouldn't even open the door last night to talk. I don't know man usually I'm good at being patient but just recently Paiges and I's relationship is strained. We aren't the same as we used to be."

"Malcolm you didn't see her when I went to pick her up, she was trying so hard not to cry because she has it in her head that she needs to constantly be okay and strong but she broke down and I could tell how embarrassed she was for doing so. She's being so hard on you because she's being hard on herself and it's easy to take it out on you since she's already pissed off that you kept a big secret from her. Just when she shows interest in talking don't fucking hesitate, don't tell her in a minute just let her talk to you. I'm so worried about her man, she's a ticking time bomb."

"She's really that bad?" Malcolm said.

"She doesn't look like it at first glance but she's barely holding herself together."

"Shit," he sounded stressed, "do you think she'll tell my parents what happened or?"

"I don't know but they should know when they get home," I mentioned.

"Parker I don't know if I'll come home tonight, it's the last night that Madi's parents are out of town. I'll be home in the morning, Madi's a little shaken up about the idea of being home alone."

"Why not bring her back to the house then?" I asked.

"Because there's still tension between Madi and Paige, they haven't talked for weeks. Paige stopped sitting at their table. Paige has distanced herself from everyone but you and Nora."

I smiled before trying to shake off that feeling, "I'll text her later today and ask if she wants me to stay over tonight then because she should be the one to be focused on right now. She's the one who faced the shit last night."