Chapter Eight : are you ready?

Parker

I knew I should've picked up Paige this morning because Malcolm was taking his long ass time to get here, I wanted to get a run in on how we were going to tell everyone today. I tried to call her last night but she must've been asleep because there was no response on her end. I should've talked to her before leaving after Nora was asleep but Malcolm was constantly lurking and listening. Asshole doesn't trust me now being close to his sister.

My fingers tapped at my steering wheel getting incredibly impatient before texting Paige wondering if they were going to be late or what.

Where the hell are you guys?

She responded relatively quickly, Malcolm slept in and took his time getting ready, we should be there in two minutes.

I knew what he was doing, Malcolm was not an idiot. He had his doubts about us dating, I wasn't blind in seeing it. He liked me as a best friend not someone he'd want his sister dating. I was at square one with him in trusting me again, Malcolm needed to see to believe that I won't hurt her. One slip up and I'm fucked.

His car pulled up and parked somewhere else which I wasn't surprised about, I got out and waited on Paige to come over here.

I saw her coming over and shook her head, "he's being such a weirdo," she commented coming up to me.

"It's fine, he's just being Malcolm the protective brother today," I held out my hand for her to take.

"He shouldn't have to retrust you Parker," she took my hand and we made our way towards the doors.

"Are you ready," I sighed trying to ease my nerves. This was the first time I walked in those doors hand in hand and it not being Haylee.

"Are you ready Parker," she looked at me with confidence I never once saw shine so bright out of her but today wasn't like most.

I could barely answer and she took the silence as a yes before opening the door and her grip on my hand tightened but I felt it was more of a comfort for me than it was for her.

People stared, I was used to it many times before and I wondered how she was doing so I moved my hand at the small of her back.

"People are staring," she looked up at me and I nodded.

"I know," I nodded as we made it to her locker.

She opened her locker with little struggle and she looked behind me, "looks like Haylee isn't too pleased," Paige mentioned before grabbing one of her books.

"Is she just staring?" I asked.

"Glaring's more like it," Paige nodded, "but same difference."

"Paige Porter you did not tell me you were getting it with Parker!" a guy came towards her in awe.

"Mason, hey!" she smiled at him and he came in for a hug before letting go and looking up and down me.

"Lord took his sweet time on your ass I see," I shook my head confused as he went back to talking to Paige, "spill babe, one minute your drunk on my couch calling Connor and then the next thing I hear is you and Parker are making out in the hallway. The hell happened?"

Paige sighed, "it's a long story, I'll tell you at lunch," Mason shook his head.

"Making me wait like the rest of them huh, I see you b," he kissed her cheek and waved bye to me in a seductive way before walking off.

"He's," I couldn't think of the right word.

"A character yes he is," she nodded, "Mason has a good heart though," Paige mentioned.