Chapter Twenty-Seven : promises are meant to be broken

Parker

I had placed Paige in my bed and slept on the futon my mom had removed from her room, but I didn't sleep much, I didn't want her waking up and throwing up before choking on her own vomit. She had a tendency of sleeping on her back and she was defiant about it. Especially drunk. I stared at her most of the night worried she'd wake up and vomit. I put water on the nightstand but it wasn't touched. She fell asleep in the car and I carried in while putting her stuff by my bed. I was mad at the conversation I had in the car with her. I ignored her and went straight to an insecurity of mine. Even her drunk didn't settle my nerves about Mateo and her. Maybe because it wasn't just me seeing a change. Mason made the point and I know he didn't intend it to freak me out it did. I mean Paige didn't say much about it in the beginning.

I did have time though to take down the picture of Haylee and I, I set them in a box for Haylee to keep if she wanted them. I knew if I kept them they'd be a reminder and I couldn't have that. I didn't want that. She's not the same.

Paige was shuffling a little before coughing a little, I got up and went over to her worried.

"Are you okay?" I sat her up.

"I don't feel too well," she mumbled.

I grabbed the ice cream bucket that I had cleaned out beforehand and she vomited into it before looking at me, "this isn't my proudest moment," she said before throwing up again.

"At least you didn't make any calls to any guys you're secretly in love with."

She smiled a little, "I guess it was a one time thing."

I laughed a little before quieting down and looking at the time. It had just turned to four in the morning.

"You should probably get some more rest," I mentioned and Paige asked a question.

"How'd I get to your house?" She looked at me.

"You went home drunk and Malcolm knew you'd get in so much trouble for being drunk, driving home drunk and so he thought it was best to lie where you were going so I offered my house since friends were limited. Plus I didn't think going back to Masons after leaving Masons was a good idea."

Paige was quiet for a little, was she contemplating still being mad from yesterday or was she going to forget about it.

"I need an explanation of what happened yesterday, you don't have to right now but I'd like one, I just don't want to feel like I'm doing this for nothing. I don't want to be wasting my time," she looked up at me before looking at the wall that was once covered with Haylee and I, "she's gone, why'd you take them down?" Paige then asked.

"It was time, two months should be plenty of time to stop dwelling in the past," I kept my eyes trained on her.

"I remember asking you if you were still in love with her and you didn't respond."

"Paige get some rest," I got up from my bed and walked over to my gaming chair to sit down, and sat in silence.

"Is this still about Mateo, Parker?" Paige waited for a response but I stayed quiet.

"Fuck no," I shook my head even though it'd be a lie. I was insecure but she didn't need to know that.

"Then why can't you tell me if you're still in love with her or not. When I don't hear a response I start to believe that you still are."

"Okay," I responded just like that and she got off the bed. I looked over at her wonder where she was going.

"When did we stop communicating, Parker? That was the deal, we agreed to be honest and you've shut me out."