Chapter Fifty-One : an expiration date

Paige

I stood outside the school doors unsure of what to do, why did it feel so unlike me to be doing this on my own again?

I opened the door and felt the gust of wind blow in as I looked up, everyone stared almost like they saw a ghost and then the whispers came.

I walked past his locker before looking twice to find Parker making out with someone, wait what? I turned around to see it with my own two eyes. That was fast! I blinked once or twice before hesitating to talk to him.

"Parker," was I in a parallel universe or something?

He pulled away from this chick's mouth before looking over at me, "Yeah?" he stared at me like he couldn't recognize who was speaking to him.

"Can I," I tried to stand my ground, "can I speak to you for a minute please?"

"Sure you are right now," Parker smiled and it was a sloppy drunk smile.

"Parker," I grabbed his hand and he looked at me surprised as I pulled him away from the girl who was in her own world right now.

We went in the library and he laughed, "convenient, the place that caused the problem."

"Are you okay?" I was worried about him, Parker wasn't the drinking type, or coming to school drunk.

"Don't go fucking acting like you care," he commented, "I'm going through a break up, given it was all a lie. I was even lying to myself. It's fine, we're fine Paige," he looked at me and I couldn't take watching him lose himself to his liquor.

"You're drunk," I commented.

"Yes I am," he smiled.

"Parker you could lose your football scholarships and the schools you want to go to," I wanted him to see what could go wrong.

"I'm making my own decisions now," he looked down at me, "I didn't break up with you, after telling you how I felt."

"Parker, I can't watch you throw your life away," I responded.

"It's not just about you," he slurred, "I got my own shit going on right now."

It was wrong of me to want to ask what was going on, "you wanna talk about it?"

"I was talking, with my lips to that girl out there."

I caressed his cheek and there was that soft side looking back, "I'm still here for you."

He grabbed my hand and pulled it off his face, "I don't want your fucking pity Paige," he had a harsh tone.

"I'm not giving you pity, I'm worried about you."

"Don't be, go worry about fucking Mateo. I talked to him for you, even when you didn't ask. I told him I was okay with you guys dating or whatever the hell you guys want to do."

"Please go home, rest. Sober up," I grabbed his hand.

"Look at me Paige," he stared into my eyes and I held his gaze until I couldn't take seeing the rage and the pain anymore, "see you can't. You fucking can't."

"I didn't want to hurt you like this Parker," I whispered and I knew I was crying, I knew I was being a lot for him to handle and I shouldn't have needed to talk to him. I shouldn't be worrying about him and still trying to take care of him.

"Don't, don't fucking do that shit right now. You knew, you fucking knew this would hurt me. You were being selfish, but maybe you always do what's in your best interest."