Chapter Forty : he wasn't picky

Parker

I dropped Paige off, and it was Christmas Eve, Porters had put some decorations outside yesterday when I came to pick up Paige.

"They'd want you to come in for a couple minutes," Paige looked at me.

"They're going to hate me when they see the bump on your head, they'd give me thirty seconds."

"They'll hate me for not telling them sooner," she got out of the truck and grabbed her bag from the back, "come on," she said closing the passenger side door and I got out to follow her.

"I'm gonna die," I commented and she pushed me a little grabbing my hand.

"We'll go together then," she smiled at me and I shook my head at how cliché that sounded.

Paige opened the door and Paige's dad was on the steps putting his boots on.

"Welcome home," he looked up then and his smile faded once he saw Paige, "What happened?"

Paige looked at me before her dad, "can mom, you and I talk in private?"

"Honey! Can you come here!"

Her mom appeared and she looked at Paige with concern, "what happened?"

She looked at me like she was going to push me out of the conversation but I wasn't going to let her.

"Let's go in the den then," Paige's dad motioned us to go in and we did.

She started out with how bad the roads were, and mentioned the semi not being able to stay in his lane and that I tried to swerve out of the direction of the semi to not get impacted. She then told them how because of how icy the roads were we spun out and into a ditch. She didn't leave a single detail out, and she looked at me knowing I was going to pin this on me.

"Why didn't you go to the hospital?" her dad asked her.

"I didn't see a point, I felt okay," Paige started to say, "All I had was a headache, and yeah it hurt a lot but I didn't feel nauseous, I didn't pass out when we got stuck, Parker passed out and regained consciousness right after."

Her dad looked at me then, "I'm checking both of you out right now," he grabbed a pen from his drawer before pressing the back of it and it had a flashlight on it, of course it did. He was a doctor after all.

He held out his finger, "keep your eyes on my finger not the light," he ordered Paige and moved the light in front of her, "any headaches, dizziness, feeling nauseous or vomited, ringing in the ears, constantly tired?" she was shaking her head no to all of it, "have you been irritated since then?"

"No," she sighed.

"Depressed?" he asked and she sighed.

"Not more than usual."

"Is the light bothering you at all?" he then asked.

"No," she looked up at her dad annoyed now.

"You seem irritable now," he commented, coming over to me.

"Because this is stupid," she commented.

"Same thing, keep your eyes on my finger and just on my finger," her dad moved the light back and forth as he started asking the same question which I answered the same way.

"You both seem fine, but I still think you should've gone to the hospital."

I agreed knowing we should've.

"Not with how the weather was," Paige commented, "it would've been a waste."

"Why didn't you tell us when it happened?" her mom then asked.