Chapter Fourteen : she likes you, connor isn't you.

Parker

"Hey Madi's coming over, it's her only night her parents let her come over. I know you just got off work and we need to talk about the shit I pulled at school but man I barely get to see her," Malcolm was making bullshit excuses but I allowed it, I needed time to unwind.

"Yeah, sure go ahead. I'll hang out with Nora."

"Right, Paige usually will either text or call when she's on her way home, Madi doesn't like when I have my phone on me when we are," he looked at Nora who was listening, "playing so if she does call let me know so I can get Madi out of here," Malcolm looked at me and I nodded before he went off.

Nora giggled and I looked at her confused, "What's so funny?"

"I know Malcolm and Madi never play, that's too kiddy for them."

"What do you think they do then?" I asked her, curious about what Nora knows.

"They make animal noises, I heard them when everyone went night night. I wanted to play dolls but sissy said it was bedtime so I waited until she went in her room and when I was playing I heard noises coming from Malcolm's room and sure enough they were making animal noises."

Huh, at least she didn't open the door, "Where's your dad?" I then asked realizing I hadn't seen much of him the past couple of days.

"Daddy took a plane for one of mom's business parties in Chicago, both are coming back on Sunday so it'll just be us for the weekend," she rested her head on my lap as she watched her tv show.

"Oh okay," I nodded.

"Hey, why was Paige sad yesterday?" she looked up at me worried.

"Paige and I just had a misunderstanding," I rubbed her back.

"You really hurt her feelings, you need to apologize or else she might break up with you," Nora mentioned.

"I was mad that someone did something they shouldn't have done with her," I said and she shook her head.

"What did Connor do?" she sat up pausing her show.

"He gave Paige a kiss," I looked at her and she shook her head.

"But you give Paige's kisses, Connor gave Paige cooties, is that why you're mad because you don't want cooties?"

"Something like that, I just wasn't happy that Connor did that knowing I liked Paige," I looked at her and she nodded understanding.

"Connor isn't allowed inside anymore," she crossed her arms, "no matter how much he begs. I don't like that he did that."

"Do you think Paige liked that Connor kissed her?"

She shook her head, "she likes you, Connor isn't you."

"She seemed mad at me at school. How do I get her to talk to me?" I then asked after silence followed.

"Do something nice, like make her cookies or do something she won't expect. Paige likes that but only if it comes from the heart."

"She can tell the difference?"

"Paige is really really good at telling who's doing things for the right reasons and who isn't. Don't underestimate her Parker, she's smart."

"Nora, who taught you underestimate?"

"I listen to big people speak, you hear things when you really listen," why did she sound like a fortune cookie right now?

"Nora, you are smarter than any five year old I've ever met," I smiled at her and she blushed and turned shy suddenly.